Laser trainer and plane line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a laser and I read that I should have it at the #3PP and then trace the plane line. My question is, what is the excact plane line? I know it is different than what Leadbetter and Harmon have on their mats so I just want to make sure I trace the correct one. Thanks

matt

New
It's the bottom edge of your plane angle. Unless you're setting up with your body open or closed, it's the target line.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by blackjackcat

So it does not go inside of the line then out right?

As Matt said, the plane line is usually the target line; doesn't have to be, but usually is. The plane line extends to infinity in both directions. The club is always pointing at the plane line unless it is parallel to the plane line; i.e., when the club is below waist high, the clubhead end is pointing at the line and when the club is above waist high, the grip end is pointing at the line. So, for the club to be "on plane", it never points outside or inside the plane line.

Throughout the swing, the club doesn't have to always be at the same angle it is at address; it can "shift" to a different angle. However, regardless of the exact angle of the club, it must be either pointing at the line or parallel to it at all times.

matt

New
quote:Originally posted by blackjackcat

So it does not go inside of the line then out right?

No.

"Inside the line then out" would be a plane lined aimed to the right. Or, if you are setting up square-square, that would be a BENT PLANE LINE. Remember, a STRAIGHT Plane Line is an Imperative!

Again, for a normal shot with a square-square setup, the Plane Line lies on the target line.

I beleive if someone checks they will discover that the plane line (base line of the inclined plane) is not the target line (line of flight). The plane line is about a ball's width inside the target line as I understand it. (ref 10-5)

There are two lines down there.
Target line and plane line
Put the ball near the hosel
Really look at the relationship betwen hosel and ball.
Plane line is down there off the hosel
Target line is parallel to plane line
It is very important to see the two lines down there as distinct
Then you will have a better picture.
Hosel and plane line. Swing the hosel. And also place ball near hosel.

Ball near hosel makes seeing inside aft
quarter of ball very easy and almost unavoidable.
Ball in center of clubface at address makes it
too difficult to see inside aft part of ball on the plane
line. The back of the ball is very distracting to an on plane swing.
Don't look at it unless you want to hit it.
To make looking inside aft easy, learn to see it
in relation - to the hosel.
Inside aft quarter on the plane line near the hosel is a single image that holds my attention.
Forget about the cluface and clubhead - they are in your hands
But shaft is not represented on the body as clearly.

It is important to see the two lines down there- target and plane
Draw them out out - soon you wll be seeing parallel lines in many
other places- aiding alignment and allowing you to make your best
swing
hope this helps though i suspect you already know most of this stuff
pep

blackcat,

Does your laser point out both ends? If only out the clubhead end, be careful not to train yourself to throw away accumulator #2 by making the laser appear on the plane line before it should on the downswing.

Brian,

Some laser trainers are just shafts without clubheads, with lasers in both ends.

cat,

That's really a strange setup - the single lasers trainers I've seen, point in the clubhead direction.

SOS

New
Using some PVC I rigged-up a lazer pointer so that it fit on the butt-end of a club. Then using the center seam in my driveway as my plane line I gave it a try. Man what a eye-opener! [:O] I saw the lazer make a trace significantly outside-in on the backswing and somewhat less inside-out on the downswing. :(

So, I slowed down and kept the clubhead on the plane going back to parrallel then kept the beam on the plane line to the top. These slo-mo swings felt entirely different; more like Brian's "up the wall, down the down, right of the wall drill". My hands were much higher and not so far behind at the top.

The beam changed my whole perception of what I was doing. Essentially extending the length of the club out to infinity beyond my hands made me acutely aware of how I moved the WHOLE club in relation to, not only the plane line but, the plane as well. :D

Does drilling with a lazer beam like this sound like good practice [?] Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for [?]

SOS

The beam can be pointed at the line from very flat plane angles, from very upright plane angles, and from countless others in between. When using the laser, one will be on A PLANE, but it will not guarantee one will practice the plane angle,(Turned Shoulder, etc.) that one desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.