Maximum Trigger Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been a member of the forum for a while now and I was wondering what trigger delay is and how it is incorporated into the golf stroke. I did a search but couldn’t find a definite answer. I’m a 6 handicapper and am probably already doing it but I just want to understand the concept better.

Thanks, love the forum

I’ve been a member of the forum for a while now and I was wondering what trigger delay is and how it is incorporated into the golf stroke. I did a search but couldn’t find a definite answer. I’m a 6 handicapper and am probably already doing it but I just want to understand the concept better.

Thanks, love the forum

I'm not Manzella academy but my understanding is:-

Trigger delay = the timing of the release of the "angles" that you set during your backswing/transition.

Backswing is basically about bending joints... Homer Kelley's TGM describes these as "power accumulators" but it really describes movement at key joints

eg. RIGHT ELBOW, LEFT SHOULDER , LEFT WRIST , LEFT FOREARM ( PRONATE/SUPINATE)

The way you group these bent joints in the backswing gives you a variety of options ( Homer called these options your "POWER PACKAGE" , classified by which joints were being bent. )

At some point these bent joints/angles are released in order to create appropriate clubhead speed . The timing of the release of these accumulators/ bent joint angles is "TRIGGER DELAY".

In casual terms this is seen as delaying the release of the left wrist cock... what people see as "lag" ( Sergio / Ben Hogan etc )... late release = "maximum trigger delay"

But technically all the accumulators can have their own trigger delay.

neil

New
If you don't "release"acc#3 separately you could have problems.The difference in releasing acc#2[the left wristcock] and the roll of acc#3 [the left wrist/clubshaft angle could be felt as one motion by someone as competent as yourself,which is good .They are defined in the book as seperate motions -the left wrist uncocks (a vertical {to the plane}motion )which will feel like a karate chop of the left hand on plane. The #3 acc roll is on plane and could feel like a roll of the left arm or wrist-but it must be the arm or you will flip -.If you keep the wrist flat you will have to release swivel(get round the small bit of the endless belt!) to keep the wrist flat -VERY POWERFUL

I get what your saying about the uncock and than roll but how do you get the down? When i feel the roll to me its more horizontal and im not snapin it into the ground.

neil

New
The ball is located on the ground -before the low point of the clubhead travel.The clubhead travels in a circle on an inclined plane so it travels DOWN and OUT in the downswing.Just think down ,dont Dip your head and you will be ok if the ball is positioned prior to low point.Everything past low point is a divot-with an iron

Got ya Neil! Thanks for all the helpful tips everyone. Nice to find some people who know what there talking about.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I feel like I am uniquely qualified to discuss the topic of "Maximum Trigger Delay."

I have taught it to 1000's of people, and got literally 100's of them to do it successfully. I have learned through experience how to determine who should and who shouldn't attempt it. I learned this becuase I have taught 1000's more golfers NOT to do it.

Simply defined "Maximum Trigger Delay" is the process of keeping the right arm as bent as possible as long as possible, the left wrist as cocked as possible as long as possible, the left hand/arm as turned as possible as long as possible, and the left arm as across the chest as possible as long as possible.

Ben Doyle loves it, the "east coast sect" of TGM hates it, and to be honest, they both are right.

That's why you will always get the best answers right here at BRIANMANZELLA.com, because I want everyone to do whatever it is THEY need to do to play their best golf. I am NOT selling a pattern or two.

If you can do it, you will most likely hit it very long. The "theory" that it'll make you crooked, is as wrong as all the money in the Ben Hogan and Sergio Garcia estates.

Here is the rub folks, it ain't for everyone.

Now the idea that you MUST uncock first is fine on paper, but trust me, total and complete BS in the real world. If there is ONE IDEA that messed up more good players than anything I ever tried to teach, it is "sequenced release" (uncocking before rolling).

It happens—no doubt—in a lot of patterns, but, the answer is in the beginning of this run-on sentence: it HAPPENS. Making it happen is just not a good idea, in my opinion.

Learning to do BOTH the uncocking and unrolling motions separately IS a good idea, and something I have taught for almost 20 years.

A lot of times, you'll never know who COULD have done "Maximum Trigger Delay" well, unless you TRY to teach it to them. The real secret is knowing WHO and WHEN. And it took me almost 20 years to figure it out.

I have a few drills that I use to teach "Maximum Trigger Delay," and they help me figure out if the student is capable of doing it. But you just have to try it a few times to see whether or not you can learn it on your own.

START HERE: If you are a slicer, start with step #1 of Never Slice Again and when you get to "hit the BOX" and can do that, the you can think about the "underhand javelin thrower" feel of "Maximum Trigger Delay."

If you are not a slicer, try to take your right hand only in a "golf like" attitude and holding the club at its "balance point" pitch the butt-end of the club like a lawn dart. It should fly straight. That is the FEEL, now you are ready to APPLY it and watch the ball.

Alright Mr. Manzella sounds good. Does Michael Finney have a lot of trigger delay or is he sequenced?

Last edited:
Alright Mr. Manzella sounds good. Does Michael Finney have a lot of trigger delay or is he sequenced?

Michael Finney has a lot of trigger delay and uses a Sequenced Released which is compatible with his Swinging pattern. This does not mean he consciously TRIES to uncock then roll.

If you are not a slicer, try to take your right hand only in a "golf like" attitude and holding the club at its "balance point" pitch the butt-end of the club like a lawn dart. It should fly straight. That is the FEEL, now you are ready to APPLY it and watch the ball.

I don't understand this drill - can anyone explain it a little more?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Hold the golf club in your right hand with your normal golf grip. However hold the club at it's BALANCE POINT (meaning as if you could balance it at your finger). Now as brian says, "pitch" the butt-end of the club toward the ball like a dart or underhanded javelin throw. The club should go straight towards that aiming point.

Status
Not open for further replies.