My attempted blending of NHA and SD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know how to edit the video down to the best swing, but really no need to look at all the swings--the best one, at least according to ball flight, is the last one starting about 3:12. It was dead straight at the target fell maybe about a yard fade.

I'm aiming at the edge of the larger building to the left of the power line tower. Most of the misses were pushes to the tower but also had a couple of good draws. The little box is a swing speed radar. I have been trying to find the highest swing speed that I can consistently make good contact. I don't know how accurate the radar is, but these swings were between 108-112, the last one was 112.

Let me know what you think.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltWidqhuQL8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltWidqhuQL8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh ya, my camera man(my son) was hearing a fire engine at the beginning and at the end the guy next to me was trying to be funny. May just want to turn the sound off.

Can anyone help me with editing .MOD video files?

Last edited:
Little Vijay Singh/ Mickelson in that release with the right hand...at least on the first swing. You trying to kill it? BTW, good swing. Face on?

Last edited:
I do have right hand issues and left hand for that matter. These swings are about 90%, but I have always had that right hand almost coming off the club release. It also looks like the club is a little too upright at impact. I think that's from my attempt to go "down the wall" to impact.

I couldn't get a face on today a guy took the spot right next to me when there were 15 others to choose from--hopefully my son talking to me while he was swinging got to him.

Anyway, some more work to do--I think the top of the backswing is a little too across the line and still working on club face control.

Here's a face on view from today.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4yPN5FPKTM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4yPN5FPKTM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've always had the sweep release and it doesn't feel like it looks at all. I tried less motion in the swing(sway) and it turned into fat city. I was working on more of a bent right wrist at impact, but I see it wasn't very successful. Let me know what you think would be most beneficial to work on.

Steve

Steve...

...IMO you need to work on a couple things. First is your address routine. You NEVER get your right forearm on plane. That leads to the second area, which is I see your takeaway as being totally controlled by your left arm. With a right forearm controlled takeaway, you wouldn't be so 'wobbly' at the top, and this would in turn allow you to have more right wrist bend thru impact.-Dave

...IMO you need to work on a couple things. First is your address routine. You NEVER get your right forearm on plane. That leads to the second area, which is I see your takeaway as being totally controlled by your left arm. With a right forearm controlled takeaway, you wouldn't be so 'wobbly' at the top, and this would in turn allow you to have more right wrist bend thru impact.-Dave

Why would he need his right forearm on plane at address?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You pull too hard with the left side from the top which opens the face (un-does the twist if you will) that leads to the sweepy release with the high right shoulder face squaring move.Your left shoulder should be behind the ball at impact. Soften the upper body in the transition with a better "fall", then you can maybe get more UJT release position.

Thanks for the advice Dave. I have tried to have somewhat of a lagging takeaway, but have not thought too much about the right forearm on plane at the address. I see now, since I finally videod my swing after a couple of years from a lesson with Brian, that my right forearm is above plane at impact.

You pull too hard with the left side from the top which opens the face (un-does the twist if you will) that leads to the sweepy release with the high right shoulder face squaring move.Your left shoulder should be behind the ball at impact. Soften the upper body in the transition with a better "fall", then you can maybe get more UJT release position.

"high right shoulder face squaring move"

Perfectly put what I feel I need to do to square the face along with the twistaway. Since learning the twistaway with Brian a couple of years ago, I have struggled with too much/too little twistaway in controlling the ball. With this insight, it may explain why because along with the twistaway I have been doing the right shoulder thing. Along with the better fall, I think I need to work on getting the right elbow closer to the right hip during the downswing which will also help reduce the sweep release.

"Your left shoulder should be behind the ball at impact."

This will be tough as a "feel" for me. Hopefully it will be a consequence of a better fall and better right shoulder/arm position.

What is UJT release position(what to the letters stand for)?

I sincerely appreciate your help and thank you for your time. Off to watch some tour swings.

Last edited:

Why does he need his right forearm on plane?

Rt Forearm on plane at address...

...p. 237 (Glossary) of the sixth edition of the Little Yellow Book, you'll find it...-Dave

I can't find my copy of The Golfing Machine!(that is the little yellow book, I hope) We did a remodel this summer and I can't find half my stuff. Could you help me out with what it says? Thanks

Little Yellow Book...

...p.237 RIGHT FOREARM Example-drawing a line between 2 points.
Mechanical- Any means by which a track can be provided to guide a moving object.
Golf- The Right Forearm "Tracing" the Clubhead Delivery Line with the #3 Pressure Point.

I can promise you that once you learn to put your right forearm on plane at address, and learn to take the club away using your right forearm, tracing the base line, you will become a better player. Make it as good as you need it to be, to be the player you want to be.

...p.237 RIGHT FOREARM Example-drawing a line between 2 points.
Mechanical- Any means by which a track can be provided to guide a moving object.
Golf- The Right Forearm "Tracing" the Clubhead Delivery Line with the #3 Pressure Point.

I can promise you that once you learn to put your right forearm on plane at address, and learn to take the club away using your right forearm, tracing the base line, you will become a better player. Make it as good as you need it to be, to be the player you want to be.

Then why is it that very few tour players set up with the right forearm on plane?

I disagree...

Then why is it that very few tour players set up with the right forearm on plane?

...with your statement, the "very few" part. Most do , or are very, very close. For those that do not, it's called a "compensation". All of us have compensations, don't we? Getting the right forearm on plane at address and into the start of the motion just makes it easier to get and stay on plane to the top. It makes the motion more efficient for most people.

...with your statement, the "very few" part. Most do , or are very, very close. For those that do not, it's called a "compensation". All of us have compensations, don't we? Getting the right forearm on plane at address and into the start of the motion just makes it easier to get and stay on plane to the top. It makes the motion more efficient for most people.

I disagree. I think that if you put more tour players with their right forearms on plane at address, they'd hook the hell out of it.

I'd like a better explanation on why the right forearm on plane is a desirable thing. Please don't quote The Golfing Machine, however. Explain to me in plain terms why it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.