My least favorite major

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand its "role" in the 4 majors, but the U.S. Open is my least favorite of the lot. I have never been a fan of playing not to lose, but that seems to be the mindset forced upon all those in contention. I like watching sporting events where someone actually tries to win, and takes the necessary chances to "make it happen". With very few exceptions, the U.S. Open seems to crush that spirit of risk. Watching the most gifted golfers on the planet play 4 days of protection is not compelling sport to me. When the guys who are playing the best (the leaders) are choosing to hit hybrids off a 580 yd par 5, what does that say about the test?

I don't watch basketball to see which team can make the fewest turnovers and fouls. Don't watch football to see which team can avoid running out of bounds the most. Don't watch tennis to see which player makes the fewest errors. Don't watch F1 to see which driver drives in the straightest line. Defense (in different forms) is a vital part of every sport, but it shouldn't foster a fear of playing to win.

Like every golf junkie, I buy into the pre-tournament hype of the second major every year. And nearly every year, Lucy yanks the football away right at the last minute. If we didn't have the Master's, I'd be really envious of you Brits and your Open Championship.

In fact, the requirement of playing not to lose is a mindset I just can't buy into... and probably what will ultimately keep me from winning a US Open title. :rolleyes:

If we didn't have the Master's, I'd be really envious of you Brits and your Open Championship.
If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were English judging by your sense of humo(u)r;)

I understand what you're saying Mike, but in the Open I always got tired of watching guys rip driver down the middle, only to see the ball cannon off a hillock and end up in the hay. I got tired of guys teeing off in torrential rain and 6 degrees c., playing out of their boots to shoot 75, then the afternoon wave comes around, it's 16 degrees c., sunny and everyone shoots in the 60's. And when Tiger won at Lytham and hit 2 iron from practically every tee box, well, that was just an eye-opener.

I also can't stand the Brits mithering on about how it's the only true world championship: the endless drumbeat obbligato of self-congratulatory nonsense that just isn't true.

Saying that, of course, it's still the best Championship in the world and you Yanks could learn a lot...;)

I agree with you mgranato. The Masters is my favorite. The British is my least since it looks cold to watch. If you can't wear shorts you shouldn't be playing golf IMO! I like how Davis has improved the Open from the pre Shinnecock days. Don't be surprised if next year the winning score is -5. He isn't stuck on par being the winning score every year. I think Davis wanted to send a reminder. Just my two cents.

Have courses with 6 par threes if you really want to take the driver and length away from the pros. Merion will be interesting.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
What role does the PGA Championship serve? I can't point to anything specific, besides the fact that a handful of PGA members get to play. IMOP this one needs an identity far more than the U.S. Open.

PGA should go back to match play, I think there should be one match play major, it would definately differentiate itself from the others.

I kind of agree with Kevin on the buzzkill of the US Open, but it wasn't the courses fault. There were scores out there to be had, Fury, and Mcdowell just couldn't get it done in the end. I have to believe nerves got to them. I look at Harrington and Furyk, they were 105 out on 18, and both pulled it left in the bunker. Sorry, you don't deserve to win the US Open if you can't hit the green from 105 yards. Mcdowell's putt on 18 was a terrible read. Course was set up great, and congrats to Webb , 68/68 on that course was fantastic..

What role does the PGA Championship serve? I can't point to anything specific, besides the fact that a handful of PGA members get to play. IMOP this one needs an identity far more than the U.S. Open.

Move it to the TPC at Sawgrass, call it the PGA Players championship, then there is your 4th major.

I am half serious.

The field was 1,109 strokes over par on holes 1-6... c'mon... if that's not a recipe for playing golf in the fetal position I don't know what is.

History (albeit fairly recent history) is the only thing that keeps a third major in the USA. If you think even half-seriously about swapping major status with the Players, you are likely to wake up and find the fourth major of the year being played somewhere in the far east.

Dariusz J.

I understand its "role" in the 4 majors, but the U.S. Open is my least favorite of the lot. I have never been a fan of playing not to lose, but that seems to be the mindset forced upon all those in contention. I like watching sporting events where someone actually tries to win, and takes the necessary chances to "make it happen". With very few exceptions, the U.S. Open seems to crush that spirit of risk. Watching the most gifted golfers on the planet play 4 days of protection is not compelling sport to me. When the guys who are playing the best (the leaders) are choosing to hit hybrids off a 580 yd par 5, what does that say about the test?

I don't watch basketball to see which team can make the fewest turnovers and fouls. Don't watch football to see which team can avoid running out of bounds the most. Don't watch tennis to see which player makes the fewest errors. Don't watch F1 to see which driver drives in the straightest line. Defense (in different forms) is a vital part of every sport, but it shouldn't foster a fear of playing to win.

Like every golf junkie, I buy into the pre-tournament hype of the second major every year. And nearly every year, Lucy yanks the football away right at the last minute. If we didn't have the Master's, I'd be really envious of you Brits and your Open Championship.

In fact, the requirement of playing not to lose is a mindset I just can't buy into... and probably what will ultimately keep me from winning a US Open title. :rolleyes:

I disagree completely. Golf is a risky/reward game as all sports. Who told them to hit hybrids or long irons and not drivers ? They are simply to WEAK PLAYERS to control drivers to the necessary degree and that's why decided to play hybrids because they were wise enough. Knowing one's weak points and accepting them is a big part of any sports. That's were their choice. I know that everyone will jump at me but that's the truth. THEIR DRIVER SHOTS ACCURACY IS NOT SUFFICIENT TO HIT DRIVERS WHENEVER THEY WANT.

Of course, this is my favourite major because it separates true golfers from bomb&hope whackers. IMO, there are only two true majors = skill testers, US Open and British Open. Masters is just tradition and good promotion of golf in a beautiful place with a beautiful time of year while PGA is another tournament out of 100 others completely without a major spirit.

Cheers

I disagree completely. Golf is a risky/reward game as all sports. Who told them to hit hybrids or long irons and not drivers ? They are simply to WEAK PLAYERS to control drivers to the necessary degree and that's why decided to play hybrids because they were wise enough. Knowing one's weak points and accepting them is a big part of any sports. That's were their choice. I know that everyone will jump at me but that's the truth. THEIR DRIVER SHOTS ACCURACY IS NOT SUFFICIENT TO HIT DRIVERS WHENEVER THEY WANT.

Of course, this is my favourite major because it separates true golfers from bomb&hope whackers. IMO, there are only two true majors = skill testers, US Open and British Open. Masters is just tradition and good promotion of golf in a beautiful place with a beautiful time of year while PGA is another tournament out of 100 others completely without a major spirit.

Cheers
Dariusz,
Spare me. I've just got up from ROFL from Mike's funnies last night, and now I have to collapse to the ground again after reading this utter nonsense. They hit hybrids cos they'd run out of room through the adverse cambers, not cos they stink with the driver.

Dariusz J.

Dariusz,
Spare me. I've just got up from ROFL from Mike's funnies last night, and now I have to collapse to the ground again after reading this utter nonsense. They hit hybrids cos they'd run out of room through the adverse cambers, not cos they stink with the driver.

ROFL. They run of room ? Maybe on one or two holes. What happened on the rest they were afraid to take drivers out ?
Do you know what Watson said before the tournament ? That this course is TOO TOUGH FOR HIM. But of course for defenders of bomb&hope he must have had a momentary brain collapse.

Cheers

Cheers

D,

McDowell is ranked #1 in driving accuracy for the year (71%) and Furyk is ranked #2 (70%) and neither felt they should hit driver. McDowell hit hybrid, and Furyk a fairway wood. Every hole has a carrot and a stick. The stick should not be inappropriately larger than the carrot such that the two straightest drivers on the planet won't even reach for the carrot - what's the point? So when two straight and short hitters come up on a 580 yard hole, and both feel the best plan is to dink it off the tee, what exactly are we testing here? The ability to see who can hit it the straightest and shortest 14 times a day?

The sad thing is, Davis is doing so much better than the group before him.

Dariusz J.

D,

McDowell is ranked #1 in driving accuracy for the year (71%) and Furyk is ranked #2 (70%) and neither felt they should hit driver. McDowell hit hybrid, and Furyk a fairway wood. Every hole has a carrot and a stick. The stick should not be inappropriately larger than the carrot such that the two straightest drivers on the planet won't even reach for the carrot - what's the point? So when two straight and short hitters come up on a 580 yard hole, and both feel the best plan is to dink it off the tee, what exactly are we testing here? The ability to see who can hit it the straightest and shortest 14 times a day?

The sad thing is, Davis is doing so much better than the group before him.

Well, I know what you mean, Mike, but I will answer you with that -- if the world sport does not have currently a great javelin thrower it does not mean they need to make the javelin lighter. Furyk/McDowell is the best TODAY but even they are merely amateurs comparing to the most accurate players in history of golf.

If we want to build the basis of creating even better ballstrikers we must set the goal very high even if it is definitely too high for today's players.

Cheers

ROFL. They run of room ? Maybe on one or two holes. What happened on the rest they were afraid to take drivers out ?
Do you know what Watson said before the tournament ? That this course is TOO TOUGH FOR HIM. But of course for defenders of bomb&hope he must have had a momentary brain collapse.

Cheers

You're right and I'm wrong.
Is Poland enjoying the Euro 2012's?

Status
Not open for further replies.