My Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been around here for a couple months. Figured it was time to post a video of my action.

7 iron, started on my dowel line and faded about 5 yards.

7 iron, started on dowel line, fell left.

I've come a long way from where I was a few months ago. Have a long way to go. A few things (before SteveT mentions it): I'm 5'10" about 230-ish. I was more like 255 at the beginning of the year. Ultimately I would like to be 185 or so like I was in high school, working on it every day. I was a decent player in high school and college though I didn't play for a school. I had a membership at OSU, for $300-$500 a year I could play unlimited golf. I played about 5 days a week in the summer and worked on my short game almost every day. Could hit the ball ok but was deadly inside 50 yards. I didn't play very much for about 8 years but got more serious again last year.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

So I've been around here for a couple months. Figured it was time to post a video of my action.

7 iron, started on my dowel line and faded about 5 yards.

7 iron, started on dowel line, fell left.

I've come a long way from where I was a few months ago. Have a long way to go. A few things (before SteveT mentions it): I'm 5'10" about 230-ish. I was more like 255 at the beginning of the year. Ultimately I would like to be 185 or so like I was in high school, working on it every day. I was a decent player in high school and college though I didn't play for a school. I had a membership at OSU, for $300-$500 a year I could play unlimited golf. I played about 5 days a week in the summer and worked on my short game almost every day. Could hit the ball ok but was deadly inside 50 yards. I didn't play very much for about 8 years but got more serious again last year.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Haven't seen SteveT post in a long while.

What is your ball flight pattern? Where are your misses? Do you have low point control issues? Do you fight a specific ball flight miss? How well do you hit your driver? Irons? Have you ever been on Trackman?

Last edited:
What is your ball flight pattern? Where are your misses? Do you have low point control issues? Do you fight a specific ball flight miss? How well do you hit your driver? Irons?

The shot I'm trying to hit is a little baby fade. I like to aim at a spot and let it fall right a little. I hit some thin shots, occasional fat shot, occasional "it feels solid but huge divot and it had a weird flight and was way short". A lot of those thin shots are low toward the heel.

My misses other than that have been low slices that start a little left. I had, previous to finding Brianmanzella.com, fought hooks. Serious under plane syndrome.

I hit my driver OK when I don't rock and block it off the planet. I'm getting used to playing the ball more up to hit up. When I connect though I've gained so much distance it's a joke. Part of it is a better pivot/swing than I had but part is launching it so much better.

Can't hit an iron longer than 6, progressively gets better (or less inconsistent) going to the short irons. Then suddenly I have consistency trouble with my sand wedge.

P.S. There is a driver video. It was kinda low, faded about 15 yards. Ok, that's a slice.

P.S.S. Sorry for the bad quality/lack of slo-mo. All I have right now is my girlfriend's android.

yeah very nice swing. only thing i can see that might be causing a bit of trouble is your leg work you have a nice squat move, but you carry it all the way through impact. a little jump will go a long way to improving your ball striking, try straightening or posting the left leg through impact. overall a very nice fluid swing.

Last edited:
yeah very nice swing. only thing i can see that might be causing a bit of trouble is your leg work you have a nice squat move, but you carry it all the way through impact. a little jump will go a long way to improving your ball striking, try straightening or posting the left leg through impact. overall a very nice fluid swing.

I had been working on that, I kinda got away from it. Was coming up and out of a lot of shots and humping the goat a bit on the down swing. I know something I struggle with is my pivot. It needs to be more dynamic. Thanks for all the replies.

*UPDATE*

A PM exchange with Lindsey Newman and Matt Bryda was very enlightening. I'm working on some posture/setup upgrades, backswing upgrades, pivot upgrades, downswing upgrades. More detail to come along with video. Thanks for all who replied :D

NEW SWINGS

7 iron started a little left and hooked about 15 yards.

7 iron started slightly right and fell left, on target

7 iron pretty straight pull about 10 yards.

It's getting there. Upgrading my posture at address to facilitate a more vertical hand path from the top and to reach last parallel with a closer to vertical left arm with the sweetspot facing the ball more. A shorter arm swing going back is also a piece of the puzzle. I felt like I lifted after my shoulders stopped turning, so I'm feeling like I'm stopping my arm swing when my shoulders stop turning. A little steeper shoulders on the backswing. Trying to keep the tush line and actually break through it with the left hip and a little more axis tilt close to impact.

I know it's a lot but I really want to get it right.

Thanks for all the help and responses :D

Last edited:
Same movements from a slightly deeper position at the top would be money. Just a bit more hip turn going back give you a little more slack for start down. Me likey

Same movements from a slightly deeper position at the top would be money. Just a bit more hip turn going back give you a little more slack for start down. Me likey

Hey thanks! Deeper......meaning......?
I'm gonna get more swings tomorrow. I was in a rush to get a few in before the rain. I will say I hit some yesterday and i was on fire. That last parallel position is huge, I feel like I can draw it or fade it with just a small adjustment. My stock shot though seems to be a little draw now. Before I was in a position where all I could do was hit low slices with anything less than a perfect lie. My trajectory is up a bit now too, more late axis tilt and better contact (less glancing blow).

Last edited:
Deeper meaning hand position at the top before transition. If you allow your hips (and shoulders) to turn JUST A BIT deeper, you won't have to lift as much. This will give you hand path a more direct line to the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.