Nationwide Tour: Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Nationwide Tour event here in Columbus yesterday at The Ohio State University Scarlet course. Was quite a day, temperatures in the mid 90's, heat index in the mid-high 100's. I have some observations of the day I would like to share and hear some input from others.

It was interesting to see the difference between the range and the course. Once the players were warmed up on the range, it seemed that no one missed a shot. I say "once warmed up" because I saw many chunked wedges, usually at the beginning of the warm-up. One right after another striped at the target with the same trajectory and ball flight as the one before. A lot of the most impressive range players looked completely different on the first tee/first few holes. Makes me feel better about myself!

We talk a lot about strength these days and how the players are better athletes. I had bought in to this as it had been a few years since I've been to this event or The Memorial. Bigger, stronger ETC. Now, they might be better athletes and they might be stronger but I saw a lot of really skinny guys. None that I might confuse with a linebacker, corner, point guard. Most everyone seemed to be 5'9"-6'2"-ish and skinny. The BIGGEST guys out there just looked average. No big muscles, no one I would be afraid to see in an alley somewhere (I'm 5'10" 225-ish). Really flexible, skinny guys.

Maybe 75% of the guys I saw hit it REALLY high. But it was a different high than I'm used to. The ball got up to it's peak fast and just hung there forever. Didn't see anyone hit that "spinny" high upshooter type shot. Everything seemed to get up fast and stay there. The "low" hitters still hit it higher than me.

With that said, everyone hit their wedges low. I parked in the layup zone on #6, a 600+ yard par 5. I was there for about 3 hours so I saw a variety of players. No one that I saw hit the green in 2 but some guys got within 20 yards. The third shots were in the range of 95-110 mostly and the ball flights were actually a little lower than I hit my wedges but with more spin.

I bet if put on a trackman, most guys would be pretty close to zeroed out consistantly with their irons. I didn't see many curveballs hit with the irons. The driver curved a little more, but the longest drives I saw all day would be really close to all zeros.

The most impressive drives I saw were by Harris English, amateur from University of Georgia. He hit drives on 11 (into the wind) and 12 (downwind) that are 60-80 yards past my best on those holes from tees 30 yards behind where I usually play. He's a stud and no doubt why he's in second place right now. Peter Uihlein was impressive though he hit some of the more massive slices I've seen from a good player. I mean big banana balls that started left of the fairway and ended 20 yards right of the fairway. Uihlein and English were paired together.

Last thing. Seemed like the only guys that were having any fun were the two amateurs. They were laughing about that running back from USC that said USC pays more than the NFL and checking out some of the female talent in the gallery. They interacted with the gallery a little, the pros I saw looked like they were headed to a funeral. I guess playing the game for a living is different than showing up to a few events a year and not worrying about a paycheck.

Man I SOOOOO called it! Harris English birdied the last hole to win the damn thing. What a week for the amateur. Shooting -14 for 4 rounds at that course is pretty good, though the rough wasn't all that long. I've seen it longer for the Big 10 championships/ NCAA's/ member play but the greens were fast and pretty hard.

He's the second member of Georgia's golf team to win a Nationwide event this year. Not a bad line up when two of your players are exempt on a professional tour.

He's the second member of Georgia's golf team to win a Nationwide event this year. Not a bad line up when two of your players are exempt on a professional tour.

Yeah.....and how did they NOT win the NCAA's? MAN Harris English just CRUSHES it. He reminds me a bit of Sean O'Hair with a better putting stroke. I'm telling you he hit two drives 70 yards past my best from 20 yards behind where I play. Lead the field in driving distance for the week. The best part is they said he can still play in the big amateur stuff (U.S. Am, Walker Cup) and then turn pro and still have an exemption to the Nationwide......IF he doesn't make it to the big show.

I've been telling my golfing buddies that the golfing landscape is in for some good times due to the influx of some great young college talent.

I'm good friends with the dad of Bobby Wyatt (the Bama golfer who shot 57 last year) and have had a chance to watch some of the junior an college golf the last couple of years. I'm telling you, these guys are for real. If you see how Cantlay, Peter U., Peterson are doing - not to mention Bama's Bud Cauley - well it's going to be fun to watch.

An interesting note - I know Alabama got a Trackman a year or so ago and I think it has made a significant difference.

I've been telling my golfing buddies that the golfing landscape is in for some good times due to the influx of some great young college talent.

I'm good friends with the dad of Bobby Wyatt (the Bama golfer who shot 57 last year) and have had a chance to watch some of the junior an college golf the last couple of years. I'm telling you, these guys are for real. If you see how Cantlay, Peter U., Peterson are doing - not to mention Bama's Bud Cauley - well it's going to be fun to watch.

An interesting note - I know Alabama got a Trackman a year or so ago and I think it has made a significant difference.

I think Ohio State got one too. I'm thinking of sending anonymous emails to the coach every day with links to threads here regarding trackman.

I hope you are right. We need some excitement.

Not that i'm a Illini fan but i heard they got one too and it has done wonders for their program too.

Yeah and I believe their coach is a pretty good player too (I know, understatement).

Ohio State's new coach was an assistant for many years at OSU.......Oklahoma State. He had them back to the NCAA's for the first time in a while. I have a slight rooting interest for Ohio State to be good though. :cool: I just hope they know how to use it otherwise it's a colossal waste of money.

I think Ohio State got one too. I'm thinking of sending anonymous emails to the coach every day with links to threads here regarding trackman.

I think you misheard. They actually got a TattooMan. Still does lines and colors though. The story I read said it's the single most used piece of equipment in the athletic department.

temporarary-tattoo-machine.jpg

They have trackman and zero idea how to use it. I know this for a fact. Coach Donny is good but could use a technology upgrade mentally.

We talk a lot about strength these days and how the players are better athletes. I had bought in to this as it had been a few years since I've been to this event or The Memorial. Bigger, stronger ETC. Now, they might be better athletes and they might be stronger but I saw a lot of really skinny guys. None that I might confuse with a linebacker, corner, point guard. Most everyone seemed to be 5'9"-6'2"-ish and skinny. The BIGGEST guys out there just looked average. No big muscles, no one I would be afraid to see in an alley somewhere (I'm 5'10" 225-ish). Really flexible, skinny guys.

This caught my attention faux. I believe that there is confusion, especially among big men, that visible muscle equals golf strength. I know advanced female Yoga teachers with no visible muscle bulk, who can hold the most difficult positions for minutes.

Try this: Hands flat on floor, arms bent 90 degrees at elbow. Lean forward so that your chest is on the upper arms. Lift the entire body off the ground. Now extend the legs straight back behind the body. Now rotate the hips and legs 90 degrees to the left keeping legs in line with rest of body. Hold for 30 seconds. Keep head up. How did that work out?

I think big, cut arms are an indication of bicep/tricep strength but maybe not so indicative of the total body strength required to snap a kinetic chain.

Drew

Last edited:
This caught my attention faux. I believe that there is confusion, especially among big men, that visible muscle equals golf strength. I know advanced female Yoga teachers with no visible muscle bulk, who can hold the most difficult positions for minutes.

Try this: Hands flat on floor, arms bent 90 degrees at elbow. Lean forward so that your chest is on the upper arms. Lift the entire body off the ground. Now extend the legs straight back behind the body. Now rotate the hips and legs 90 degrees to the left keeping legs in line with rest of body. Hold for 30 seconds. Keep head up. How did that work out?

I think big, cut arms are an indication of bicep/tricep strength but maybe not so indicative of the total body strength required to snap a kinetic chain.

Drew

In fairness, being able to hold difficult yoga poses also has nothing to do with being able to snap a kinetic chain. It's about speed and sequencing, not being able to bench 300 or put your legs behind your head.

I get what you are saying. Fast-twitch muscles that are good for golf look different than big muscles that are good for playing linebacker. Also, how much of what they work on is core strength? I'm sure it's a lot and it's kinda hard to see. I'm not saying these guys are not strong, it's just all the talk about how these guys could play corner in the NFL or point guard in the NBA. I don't see a lot of that. It's such a different game and they have trained for something different. Now, this is not to say that there aren't a lot of really good athletes on tour. I bet if some of those guys trained for it they could. I guess it good to point out that maybe the traditional methods of pumping iron are not really what golf requires.

Drew

In fairness, being able to hold difficult yoga poses also has nothing to do with being able to snap a kinetic chain. It's about speed and sequencing, not being able to bench 300 or put your legs behind your head.

Thank goodness playing golf doesn't require these things ;)

Ok.....back to my beer can curls :p

It's about speed and sequencing

It is Johnny, but speed and sequencing are produced by a body with strength, mobility, stability, balance. And no, Yoga is not all about putting your legs behind your head as you know. Yoga is too often characterized by flexibilty alone. The spaghetti poses get all the attention. But I think that total body strength is essential if you are going to execute the eight angle pose , for example:

HP_214_Astavakrasana_248.jpg

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.