Need some input of the following swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my live time amateur student, I seen a lot of experts posted here, I need your help since Brian is so far away from where we live, some input will be appreciated, not necessary good one like Kortis always pointed out in good ways for the pros, loved to hear the breakdown of the swings in critical ways.
After adapted S and T and Hardy's for years, we working back on more clasical swing like Snead and Hogan, weight transfer more to right side, let the left knee more kick in, and more lag basically for more distance.... and just recently learn more from McHatton, Manzella/TGM, and your posts here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIhBMWQLQxk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VilUpVcqP3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ez_WekpLEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1wUh-mnQ8

your in put will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I suppose it's quite possible the experts will have something to say in terms of criticising or improving that swing. However, I do not.

Beautiful swing.

Have your student practice the short game intensively and I don't see why he wouldn't be a + handicap.

Hard to find a fault. I would only say the backswing looks like a right forearm takeaway as opposed to shoulder turn takeaway that is more popular on this forum site.

How does your student hit the ball? What are his faults? What is his miss?

Pretty is what pretty does! What is this swing capable of?

I suppose it's quite possible the experts will have something to say in terms of criticising or improving that swing. However, I do not.

Beautiful swing.

Have your student practice the short game intensively and I don't see why he wouldn't be a + handicap.

I agree, short game has to be trained, in the past we put 80:20 between long game and short game, I think now it's time to reverse.

golfer 24, You are dead on, he uses interlock grip and consequently had a wider swing arc like Nicklaus did, we tried to make it narrower, as you can see on the first move his head follow the direction of his back swing, most teacher tolerated this move, and some advocate to do so (like Harmon and Grout), but I didn't see more often in modern tour swing, most guys on tour turn their left shoulder right a way.

thanks,

PS He was the most wanted high school golfer last year.

Hi Self mastery, in the past his mis most likely block to the right, toe and fat hit, slightly OTT. Now after Manzella/TGM/NSA, less flip, more rt tilted spine/axist, more inside attack, he hit more decent shots, he mis left (draw) and toward heel side hit, less fat shoots and deeper divot for short irons, basically it is the ball striking and distance we looking for.

Last edited:

Beautiful swing.

I agree, short game has to be trained, in the past we put 80:20 between long game and short game, I think now it's time to reverse.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Great move. I would think that as he gets older he would want to lose a little of the wide,arms dominated takeaway. I think it promotes the arms and upper body to pull the club in a little narrow at the start of the downswing. Evidence of this is his tendency to stand up a little at impact. Work on core and lower body strength as well. Looks like a future star.

He is still far a way to reach the stars, tough competitions now a day.

Thanks for your comments and interest to young player DD.

Last edited:
Young and talented

Very solid swing. I would encourage that kid to compete--on and off the course, and not worry too much about tweeking mechanics. Too many young kids seem to get lost in the pursuit of the ever evasive perfect swing...a highly competitive personality could do a lot of damage with that swing. Go get'em kid!

I don't think you should neccessarily have to TRY to shift your weight. (unless maybe you are learning or something) You turn and it happens. (without an extra slide)

Tobell, FYI he played hundreds of tournament since junior, I just wanted to help to pursue his dream, but I have my limitation in my language and golf knowledge, I thought that I can get some help here.

Last edited:
well said bird, you had a good swing yourself.
After Morad (only learn cosmetically) seem to me he was a tad reverse pivot, put the sizes behind (he is 5'9") and his buddies (above 6'-6'4") out drive him, this year he put himself on the gym, and learned more about power components in here/TGM.

Thanks

Last edited:
Tobell, FYI he played hundreds of tournament since junior, he had fortune to be 3x AJGA all American (first team), #1 graduated highschool player in the nation in 2006, currently #40+ in college ranked by golfweek, #30+ amateur in the world. he is in the cross road to break the barrier in to the top am. I just wanted to help to pursue his dream, but I have my limitation in my language and golf knowledge, I thought that I can get some help here.

Considering he is that damn good YOU ARE ASKING THE WRONG PEOPLE!!!! Seek the opinions of great instructors or one single great instructor not some recreational hacker teachers like myself. You shouldn't give a damn what I think about his swing!

Where all the senior members in this board? don't be shy.

I seen you put some good posts, it must have something to learn. Especially you are a senior member that alone show who you are. I'm open minded person I really need second opinions to learn. I'm not so good in English, so these movie can guide me in to real live.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Be careful in thinking that there is one swing or another that holds up better under pressure. Swings don't succumb to pressure, people do. There are theories as to what is more repeatable, but they are only theories. As I posted before, he might want to tighten it up a bit by activating his mid section in the transition. If i remember his iron swing from past posts, i hope he is still doing the bounce the ball drill. If you do continue to see instructors, though, settle on one and don't tinker so much with so many different approaches.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Goofy.

Considering he is that damn good YOU ARE ASKING THE WRONG PEOPLE!!!! Seek the opinions of great instructors or one single great instructor not some recreational hacker teachers like myself. You shouldn't give a damn what I think about his swing!

This forum is visited by, and posted on, by some of golf's BEST teachers, both the kind that ARE on the"lists," and those who ought to be at or near the top of them, but aren't on them at all.

So, in other words, I completely disagree with the post.

I will say this HIGHBALLGURU, I'll give the swing another look.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok.

I looked at the swing again.

He needs to make a better backswing pivot. The last one has WAY TOO MUCH weight on the left foot at the top.

Take the weight OFF, then put it back on.

This forum is visited by, and posted on, by some of golf's BEST teachers, bith the kind that ARE on the"lists," and those who ought to be at or near the top of them, but aren't on them at all.

So, in other words, I completely disagree with the post.

I will say this HIGHBALLGURU, I'll give the swing another look.

He did not say teachers only reply, he was taking advice for any hack (like myself). I certainly did not tell him it is ridiculous to post on this forum, I did tell him not to take advice from hacks. He was impressed because I had a lot of posts, doesn't mean I should be giving advice to a top 40 college player in the country. If his post was for Manzella Academy only I not only wouldn't have read it, I wouldn't have responded in the manner I did. The kid is just too damn good to take advice from the average forum member. The academy instructors I am sure would be of great help to him and nowhere was my previous post inconsistent with this belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.