New release; the grip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone outline the cause and effects of a stronger left hand grip with this pattern.
My misses are all going left, and I prefer to fade the ball. The tendons on the top of my left hand are getting sore with this grip. How will a weaker left hand grip affect the sequence. Should I consider throwing on some thinner grips to possibly ease the soreness? My concern is that a thinner grip could make the ball go even more left though, thoughts...?

Thanks for the quick reply MJ. I am somewhat confused though, from what I can see I don't know how to alter the degree of ulnar deviation. It seems as though that angle is fairly constant whether I take a strong or weak left hand grip. What is the approximate position or feel that comes with the correct amount of it. Is it more likely that I am going too strong with the left hand or not strong enough? Thanks in advance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take your grip while holding the club out in front of you parallel to the ground, then with your left wrist in ulnar deviation the grip will be going more perpendicular to your fingers in your hand--this is what is suggested on the video. If you take your grip with the wrist in a more neutral position the grip will lie more "up" your left arm.

This is somewhat independent of a strong or weak grip.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take your grip while holding the club out in front of you parallel to the ground, then with your left wrist in ulnar deviation the grip will be going more perpendicular to your fingers in your hand--this is what is suggested on the video. If you take your grip with the wrist in a more neutral position the grip will lie more "up" your left arm.

This is somewhat independent of a strong or weak grip.

I would agree with that. My grip falls into the first category you mentioned, and always has. If my left wrist is in ulnar deviation and I take a 'strong' grip with the left hand wouldn't 'going normal' take the wrist from bent (address) to flatter (impact condition), thus presenting a more closed clubface.

"Search for the perfect swing"

Page. 92. Fig 15:3

Michael does this photo show what you explain to be taking the grip in a state of ulnar deviation?

If so I think anyone who has this book can use this as a good visual illustration when taking the grip in this fashion

Michael made me curious and I hadn't been to his site for a while, so I went over there and ordered his new video to see how he explained it. What I found was that how magicmarker explained that he had the grip more across the fingers is what Michael suggests with taking the grip with ulnar deviation. (Admin. feel free to edit if I am giving away too much information.)

Also, if you are doing the release with more left wrist extension into and through impact than you have done in the past, then you will more than likely get sore in the back of your hand and forearm due to working the muscles differently.

magicmarker can you post up a video or photo of you taking your grip?

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Back on topic. I love debate, however, bringing up the past and rehashing and rehashing gets old for everyone.

magicmarker asked a good question. Lets go with that.

Last edited:
Can anyone outline the causes and effects, or even the possible compensations, that need to be or should be made when using a weaker left hand grip with the 'new release' pattern.

If the information is in a retail video and you prefer it to stay there, please point me in the direction of it. Thank you.

Another thing taking the grip in ulnar deviation appears to help with is to give some more control with the vsp. Since the left wrist is already in ulnar deviation at address, then it will be difficult to uncomfortable, to "stand the handle up" at impact. I haven't been able to make full swings yet, but in doing this on short pitches I have to guard some against sticking the heel of the club in the ground. I have also been trying to grip with with the right wrist in more ulnar deviation and it feels pretty good on the short pitch swings, I'll have to wait a bit more to try it on full speed swings though.

Status
Not open for further replies.