new set of irons

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmat

New
I just got a new set of irons and played them for the first time last weekend. The problem is that I can't hit the ball straight without a very strong grip. My old irons were straight as an arrow, just didn't go far enough, and these did better than anything else I hit at the store, but at the course they went right, way right, even using a twist-away on the backswing. Can anybody help me figure out why this is happening? Is it likely to cure itself after some time with the clubs or am I stuck with this strong grip? I should mention that the clubs feel a bit heavier than my old ones, and that my results are for some reason better with LONG irons and abysmal with the shorter irons. I hit good shots with the 3, 4, and 5, and my worst shots were with the 9 and wedge (including a wicked wedge slice).

I feel like the stronger grip makes it harder for me to hit the ball as far as I am capable.

cmat

New
what do you mean besides lie and shaft flex? I was matched for that and hit the demo club that fit just fine. But beyond that, nothing else was done. What else is there?

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by cmat

I just got a new set of irons and played them for the first time last weekend. The problem is that I can't hit the ball straight without a very strong grip. My old irons were straight as an arrow, just didn't go far enough, and these did better than anything else I hit at the store, but at the course they went right, way right, even using a twist-away on the backswing. Can anybody help me figure out why this is happening? Is it likely to cure itself after some time with the clubs or am I stuck with this strong grip? I should mention that the clubs feel a bit heavier than my old ones, and that my results are for some reason better with LONG irons and abysmal with the shorter irons. I hit good shots with the 3, 4, and 5, and my worst shots were with the 9 and wedge (including a wicked wedge slice).

I feel like the stronger grip makes it harder for me to hit the ball as far as I am capable.

[bold emphasis by rwh]

Bottom line: a club doesn't fit you if you have to change your swing to make the club perform. Let a professional club maker look at the old and new clubs and tell you the differences.

EdZ

New
Sounds like the new sticks are either too stiff, or too heavy, or have a difference in offset (less than the old ones).

cmat

New
The old clubs were Merit Golf Fusion forged cavity backs, very light, but I don't know exact specs, and the clubs are not made anymore, so I have no way of finding out without some kind of outlay. The new clubs are Cleveland TA6, advertised swingweight is D2, and like I said this is much heavier than the old ones. The new clubs feel better in my hands and while swinging, they just went right until I strengthened my grip. I think the main problem is that I had no time to go out and get a feel for the new clubs before I went to the course. I had the same trouble weekend before with the new driver I got, then this last weekend things were alot better with the driver. I intend to get in some practice and figure out what I was doing wrong, I just thought I might get a clue as to what to look for when I was doing it. I also noticed that my results were better when "swinging" instead of hitting, so I need to play around with that too. I know it will come around.

cmat

New
because I was slicing short irons... I just felt like my hands were not getting through impact in the right position, and I knew that turning my hands to a stronger position would help me get my hands through. I have been playing with a 'mostly' neutral grip, I do go stronger for the driver to fight a push-fade tendency, but most mid to short irons I play neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.