Old posts - lagging clubhead takeaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some old threads regarding the lagging clubhead takeaway hinted that it might be a good idea for someone with a hook, but are then left tantalisingly hanging without explaining why or saying what particular points should be considered.

Any ideas why this would be a good idea?

Is it easier to get "up the wall"?

Any comments or thoughts appreciated.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It could set you up for a "handle leading" transition and downswing which, combined with a few other variables, could help eliminate a closed face.

dlam

New
What is the lagging clubhead takeaway?
Is that like the Bobby Jones takeaway where the clubhead lags behind the hands as he seems to "pull".the club in the backswing?
Looks effective but who does that now a days?
Otherwise if that's not it.. can someone describe or show a lagging clubhead takeaway.

dlam

New
Lagging clubhead takeaway..is that like Bobby Jones takeaway where he looks like he is pulling the clubhead and it lags behind the hands at the takeaway?
Who does that nowadays?

dlam

New
Lagging clubhead takeaway... Is that like the Bobby Jones takeaway where he the clubhead lags behind his hands on the takeaway?
Who does that nowadays?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
There are tons that do a lagging HANDS takeaway, a watered down version due to technique and equipment changes. Most better ballstrikers stress the shaft with their center moving first in the start.

dlam

New
Is that like the Bobby Jones takeaway where the clubhead lags behind the hands as he seems to "pull".the club in the backswing?
Otherwise if that's not it.. can someone describe or show a lagging clubhead takeaway.

Yo Kevin (or someone who knows) can you find us a video example of a "lagging hands takeaway"...

I know what a LCT is (Bobby Jones type) but have not been sure on the former one.

dlam

New
Kevin,
My theory is that LCH disappeared with the hickory shafts.

Maybe today's steel/graphite shaft the water down version of LCH looks more like a one piece type takeaway.

Lagging Club Head Takeaway

Kevin,
My theory is that LCH disappeared with the hickory shafts.

Maybe today's steel/graphite shaft the water down version of LCH looks more like a one piece type takeaway.

Many of the great ball strikers post hickory shafts used this takeaway or a version of it including: Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, Raymond Floyd. View some videos of these players in slow motion and you can see the shaft being stressed with the LCH takeaway.

moorejr12

An extreme case? Miller Barber

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8bVEovI3w[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ2zf4X6PIc[/media]

miller barber

An extreme case?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8bVEovI3w[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ2zf4X6PIc[/media]

Burner

New
Lagging club head take away.

Check out the first video clip in post#3 in the thread "Causes of Throwaway".

Hmmm. I'll have to check the old posts again because I seem to remember there being a difference between the lagging clubhead takeaway and float loading.

I see float loading in Miller Barber's swing, but the lagging clubhead takeaway is more Bobby Jones or Greg McHatton - brushing the grass and then cutting it off at the roots per Confessions of a Former Flipper.

Sorry I seemed to have confused something. No nearer knowing why it might be advised for someone with a hook. I have had some success with it, but still hit the odd low left. Wondering whether to persist.

Based on how it feels, it seems to keep the clubhead outside the hands in the takeaway with the clubface pointing more at the target. This seems more up the wall (the book of Brian, 3:11).

Compared to my normal swing, this feels more shut to begin with. However, it then feels more open at the top! It is as if the momentum of the clubhead doesn't give my left thumb any option but to be in a more supporting position at the top, instead of more to the side with the wrist arching.

McHatton...great example.

(great clip of him on YTube)

BTW...unreal Barber video. Not a LCT though...just real real late loading. (but unbelieveable)

Notice how good his downswing is though.

Full roll at the bottom...

Neat.

Last edited:
It could set you up for a "handle leading" transition and downswing which, combined with a few other variables, could help eliminate a closed face.

Sorry Kevin, how does this help a hook problem then? I can see how the downswing can feel more "handle leading". Is there anything else to be checking out?

I know making a recommendation is tough without videos, etc., but is this something worth persisting with to help out a hook problem?

dlam

New
Can't one just stress the shaft at takeaway by gripping with the hands in a more opposing manner.
Like right hand weak and left hand strong at start up?

dlam

New
Btw M Barber's takeaway is different from LCT ala Bobby Jones.
Barber has a bit of left wrist bow at takeaway and in LCT there is a bit of left wrist cupping at takeaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.