Old School Vs. New School (with a twist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think you could generally shoot lower scores with:

A. The clubs of yesteryear (1963 wilson turfriders or before ) and any current golf ball

or

B. The clubs of today and any ball of yesteryear (balata or before)

on

any course, past or present...

Personally,

I would think I could shoot better golf scores with the irons of today and ball of yesteryear vs irons of old and ball of today.

I think that "better" ball strikers would generally be reversed.

Definitely, yesteryear's clubs and today's golf balls. Why? Today's ball doesn't curve anywhere near as much as the old Balata balls.

old clubs new balls. the manufacturing process has evolved so much so you would imagine a new ball would be a lot more predictable. the center of the face has always been the spot to hit the ball.

gep

New
My $.02 cents new clubs and new golf balls.... at my age there is no way I could or should hit the ball as far as it goes... I have an old Cleveland Classic Ben Crenshaw driver that I pick up occasionally ...It feels as heavy as my golf bag and the head looks like a 5 wood... :cool:

I'd love to have one good swing with one of those old Toney Penna drivers and a pro v1X. but I think...the old Titleist pro Traj 100 would go further off my new Covert 2? Back when I wore sansabelt slacks, if I hit it real good I'd get 250. I'm 65, just had open heart surgery and I can still hit it 250 on a real good one. If I had my druthers I'd still be be wearing sansabelts again cause I'd be 28 :).

I hit it 80-100 yds further than 20 years ago. Just recently I caught one right out the middle and I though I had caused an earthquake. The ball went about 350yds and I was left with 60bucks to what was meant to be a toughish Par4. Then my trousers were 32/33 and now they're 36/31. Does it go further now because of my weight gain or the equipment? JJ

46 and counting DC. I find golf easier now than ever before but can't score a damn. I can hit it so fekin flush it scares me but I haven't really sussed out why I can't score very well any more. I remember the days when I could land a wedge 8 ft left of the pin and spin it back and right to 2 ft from 100bucks off a sloping lie whilst hitting it out of the toe by mistake. Now I can flush it over the back and take 3 from there to make an easy boagster. I reckon when I stopped paying and started practicing on da range I lost something which I cannot recover. I see it with a lot of my peers from back in the day as well.

Last edited:
46 and counting DC. I find golf easier now than ever before but can't score a damn. I can hit it so fekin flush it scares me but I haven't really sussed out why I can't score very well any more. I remember the days when I could land a wedge 8 ft left of the pin and spin it back and right to 2 ft from 100bucks off a sloping lie whilst hitting it out of the toe by mistake. Now I can flush it over the back and take 3 from there to make an easy boagster. I reckon when I stopped paying and started practicing on da range I lost something which I cannot recover. I see it with a lot of my peers from back in the day as well.

There game is such a metaphor for life, I sometimes can't believe it's happening. I just went 65 which means I have been at this silly game 50 years, having started as a boy of fifteen. I noticed little to no difference until about 55, and then recently a SCARY loss of distance, feel and balance. Yet another reminder of my 'back nine" status in life. Ive take to YOGA to try to alleviate the balance and feel thing but, truth be told, I know my golf race has been run. But I was blessed to be born to this breed, and it doesn't take a crystal ball to know, I'm gonna go out swinging when I go :)

Keep on swingin biguy! I've loved and hated this game in equal measures at different times but I know we'll never part. It's in my blood and it ain't goin nowhere! But I sometimes wish we could go back to the nostalgia days of Miller/Watson/Nicklaus when I was a wee boy watching my heroes - somehow the world seemed a nicer place back then...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I hope you get some stength back, DC.

I see no reason, with the Man upstairs' help, I can't be a better player than I have ever been and wear some 32s soon as this shoulder will let me at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.