Product question -- Dancin' Dogg Shot Making Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking on this site for a few months now, and absolutely love it. I've come to respect the opinions of many of the people on this site (even if they disagree :) ), and especially those opinions of Brian and his staff. But if this isn't the place for a question like this, I apologize and will gladly delete it. Here goes . . .

With a 6-month old boy in the house, I've found that I have less time to get out to a range for practice than I used to, so I've been looking around at various indoor simulators. Most I find are outside of our budget, but I did come across this Dancin' Dogg Shot Making Simulator (http://www.dancindogg.com/). It looks interesting.

I'm a relative n00b to the "science" of golf, but from what I've gleaned from this website (an *excellent* source of information, BTW!), face angle at impact and swing path have the most to do with the starting direction and curve of a golf shot. This simulator appears to measure both face angle and swing path, along with clubhead speed at impact.

I'm just wondering if something like this would be useful in practicing indoors, and if anyone has any experience with this particular product. I'm really interested in whether or not it's accurate and durable and basically worth the $400 it costs. I've done searches, and there's not a whole lot out there on the net besides press releases, so I'm somewhat leery.

Thanks.

sample data

Here's some sample data results they showed, if anyone wants to comment on the accuracy...

path: 1º outside-in
face: 2º open
speed: 94 mph
distance: 236.2 yards
yards off target: 4.3 right

The results are presumably with an iron, since that's what they suggest you use with it.

Last edited:
I've been lurking on this site for a few months now, and absolutely love it. I've come to respect the opinions of many of the people on this site (even if they disagree :) ), and especially those opinions of Brian and his staff. But if this isn't the place for a question like this, I apologize and will gladly delete it. Here goes . . .

With a 6-month old boy in the house, I've found that I have less time to get out to a range for practice than I used to, so I've been looking around at various indoor simulators. Most I find are outside of our budget, but I did come across this Dancin' Dogg Shot Making Simulator (http://www.dancindogg.com/). It looks interesting.

I'm a relative n00b to the "science" of golf, but from what I've gleaned from this website (an *excellent* source of information, BTW!), face angle at impact and swing path have the most to do with the starting direction and curve of a golf shot. This simulator appears to measure both face angle and swing path, along with clubhead speed at impact.

I'm just wondering if something like this would be useful in practicing indoors, and if anyone has any experience with this particular product. I'm really interested in whether or not it's accurate and durable and basically worth the $400 it costs. I've done searches, and there's not a whole lot out there on the net besides press releases, so I'm somewhat leery.

Thanks.

For the money, i think that is a great bit of kit....they usually come a LOT more expensive, but have a lot you don't need..

Even if it turn out not to be totally accurate, at least it gives you some idea of what is going on...
let us know how you get on with it...:)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here is the GolfTek 7

FROM GOLFTEK....not golftec

The New Pro 7 Technology

The Golftek Pro 7 Swing Analyzer and Launch Monitor is an important development in the science of golf measurement and analysis. Not only because of its superior accuracy but also because it is now possible to use only one reliable, compact platform to measure 7 ball flight parameters and 7 golf swing characteristics simultaneously. One swing will provide 14 bits of precise data for clubfitting, teaching, practice or indoor golf simulator play. Currently, there are several different methods being used for ball flight measurements but none of them can also provide comprehensive golf swing information. The Pro 7 was designed using infra-red emitter-sensor technology because it provides all the important information and is also the most cost-effective and reliable method of measurement.

Ball flight data is captured by 28 sensors located in front of the ball. The launch angle detection system uses a linear array of infra-red emitters and sensors mounted at a 60 degree angle with respect to horizontal. Narrow beams of infra-red light are fired up from the emitters and then reflected back down to the sensors by the ball. The intensity of the reflections and the time frame in which they occur are a function of the height and velocity of the ball. This data is analyzed by a microprocessor that is programmed to determine the launch angle of the ball from the direct measurement of the reflected beams of light. Backspin is a function of ball velocity and launch angle, both of which are measured parameters. Sidespin is influenced by the clubface angle, clubhead path and impact point. All three are the result of direct measurements. Azimuth (initial ball direction), ball speed and all golf swing characteristics are also measured directly.

The electronic system of this machine contains 86 IR diodes and transistors that precisely track the path of the clubhead and ball. By comparison, the Bengston analyzer has only 24 and it is a fact that the accuracy of any infra-red machine is a function of the number of sensors used to track the target. There is also another reason for the large number of detectors in the Pro 7. The active area of the sensor array is now larger which allows more accurate measurements of the much larger clubheads that have become so popular today. This is particularly true for clubhead path and impact point data.

Most people in the golf industry have become familiar with the term "algorithm" because so many golf analyzers use it to estimate the value of golf swing or ball flight parameters that are not directly measured. The dictionary defines an algorithm as a method of solving a certain kind of mathematical problem. In swing analysis this means estimating one factor based on the measurement of two or more other factors. If the correlation between the factors is good then the estimate of the other factor will be good. For example, there is good coorelation between ball speed and ball carry--the faster the ball speed the further the ball flies so it is fine to estimate the ball carry from the ball speed. The problem with our competitors' algorithms is that they often do not measure the important factors and therefore their algorithm is nothing more than an inaccurate estimate. Several low cost analyzers will display ball carry and flight path even though they make no ball measurements at all! A topped or popped-up shot on these analyzers will read the same as a solid hit. How can this kind of information be useful to anybody?

The bottom line is your success as a teacher or clubfitter is based on the accuracy of the decisions you make and those decisions are a function of the accuracy of the input you receive from the analyzer. Inaccurate data is worse than no data at all because it can mislead you into bad decisions. In this business, like most others, you get the kind of value you are willing to pay for.

Thanks, Brian. I was about to pull the trigger on the Dancin' Dogg, but after reading your post I'm going to hold off. I have a feeling that with only 14 sensors and what appears to be no direct ball measurments, the Dancin' Dogg simulator might actually be worse for my game.

Too bad the Golftek equipment is so much more expensive! I guess it's back to the towel plane board for me :). Maybe I can talk my wife into a decent video camera . . . to record our 6-month-old boy's milestones, of course :).

I have the p3 pro. It's not bad for the dough, but it is really a beer drinking game for you and the buddies. Keeps practice fun, but you'll get some goofy reading from the sensors and you need reflector tape on the woods.

Chris Sturgess

That does look fun. Playing a virtual course on there and getting readouts. Why is that reflector tape such a hassle? Can't you just put it on and peel it off? I've never used this to know what it's like btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.