protect my back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

I am 2.5 months out of back surgery. My doc says I can start playing again in another 3.5 months. What type of swing pattern would be best for my back? (pre-surgery index 25.7...so no need to keep any of the old swing)

Thanks,
Lou

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You certainly don't EVER want to fool around with sometimes as foolish as un-Natural Golf.

You need to learn to make a GOOD swing.

Good technique HURTS less than poor technique.

Do you hook it or slice it?

quote:What advice did you receive in your lessons?

First issue: reverse weight shift
Pro advice: taught me path to get to better position at top focusing on maintaining spine angle
Result: successfully implemented

Next issue: arms pull up, flipping hands through impact
Pro advice: showed me through video, that this will take care of itself if I initiate the down stroke with my lower body. She said I will always be primarily a hitter, but even hitters need to clear their hips to make room for the arms.
Result: marginal with a ball in front of me (good on practice swings ;))
Drills: swinging with eyes closed

Future issue: late release resulting in open clubface at impact
Pro advice: tension in arms/hands, would address when I was able to trust that I would start down with the lower body.

That is as far as I got.

Thanks,
Lou

quote:Originally posted by Loubert

Brian,

I am 2.5 months out of back surgery. My doc says I can start playing again in another 3.5 months. What type of swing pattern would be best for my back? (pre-surgery index 25.7...so no need to keep any of the old swing)

Thanks,
Lou
You didn't say which part of back?
I had L 3, 4, 5 and sacrum fused in 1959. No real problems after 3 months in a full body cast and 3 months in a brace. But everytime I tried to kick the dog , I fell on my axx. Had to have cast replaced twice.
I might provide some insight about what to expect if similar location of Fusion? However fusions now and then are quite different-rods-screws-bone banks, etc., I had/have none.

To Wally:

Thanks for the offer of insight. I had posted more details about my situation before. Brian cleaned up the thread after Horton called me "obese" and told me to give up golf.

Compared to you, my procedure was a simple one. I had a microdiscectomy at L5/S1. I am trying to avoid fusion in the future by protecting my back going forward.

Thanks,
Lou

quote: Ben's tape would be a great start.

Brian,

How about your "Beginner's Class" DVD?

On a related topic, is chipping technique dependent on the stroke pattern I ultimately want to build (i.e., would a hitter chip differently than a swinger or a RFP hitter be different than a twist-away hitter)?

Thanks,
Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.