Putting/Tiger experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling all Tiger/Putting experts:

It looks like Tiger will continue to use his regular, faithful gamer on regular, quick greens, and then another Nike model (final rd. in Oz, 1st 3 rounds at St. Andrews) on "slower" greens. I can understand the rationale for using a different putter on different greens, but wonder why he'd go to a different head style.

I would expect a different swing weight and/or different length putter to help with speed control, but don't quite see how a different visual/toe hang would help. Is he looking for more toe flow (heel shafted Nike Method #3) to help give him more speed with the same stroke?

Any thoughts?

S

SteveT

Putting is more 'intimate' than 'athletic' ... and it's stupid simple to putt given that the putting stroke is usually no more than 12" back and forth into Impact. Tiger just found something to his liking and he switched ... he's done that before ... ;)

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Putting is more 'intimate' than 'athletic' ... and it's stupid simple to putt given that the putting stroke is usually no more than 12" back and forth into Impact. Tiger just found something to his liking and he switched ... he's done that before ... ;)

Could you please lay out some of your credentials for making this claim? Or is this your opinion?

S

SteveT

Could you please lay out some of your credentials for making this claim? Or is this your opinion?

My credentials??? You don't need many credentials to do stupid simple putting ... and that's my 'intimate' opinion ...:D

Of course, green reading is much more complex because it requires an understanding of the path of a rolling sphere over a variable topological surface.

Oh, grass?? Why the hell didn't you just say so.

And if you feel the need to call a ball a sphere...

I will keep my waders on while I await your reply.

greenfree

Banned
QUOTE: from Steve T. "You don't need many credentials to do stupid simple putting"

You fit that criteria perfectly...lol. Especially the stupid part.

C'mon guys. I post a reasonable question, hoping to start some discussion, and I get a pissing match? Keep on topic or don't bother posting.

Calling all Tiger/Putting experts:

It looks like Tiger will continue to use his regular, faithful gamer on regular, quick greens, and then another Nike model (final rd. in Oz, 1st 3 rounds at St. Andrews) on "slower" greens. I can understand the rationale for using a different putter on different greens, but wonder why he'd go to a different head style.

I would expect a different swing weight and/or different length putter to help with speed control, but don't quite see how a different visual/toe hang would help. Is he looking for more toe flow (heel shafted Nike Method #3) to help give him more speed with the same stroke?

Any thoughts?

Okay, I was also putting out thoughts for discussion, not necessarily questions. I just don't see the purpose of those other posts...

Toe hang does not equal more toe flow. The heavier the toe, the more toe lag. The heavier toe wants to stay open (lag behind the heel) on the down stroke.

It would be interesting to know how the different head style influences his aim, and what loft the two putters are set at.

Uncle Jimmy always said, "If a cat could talk it wouldn't." Damon Lucas is an Expert in putt-"ology", something he would never admit. There is no experience stupid enough or simple enough regarding the art of putting that must not needs not be examined. Everthing you are at that moment goes into it. You give it all you got. Damon's been giving his all on the line for some time now.

This is not too suprising to me (the 2 putters). A couple years ago I went through training when we got our SAM Putt lab. The trainer (nameless) said that he has spent time with Tiger on the SAM Putt and he is the only tour player that he knows that actually "plays shots on the greens". In other words, he will purposely release more or less depending upon the putt and will change his ball position and attack angle depending upon the surface. Example he used was Oakmont greens vs. Torrey Pines greens. Now with two putters set up differently he can just changed putters and keep his stroke consistent (kinda like players change wedge grinds).

This is not too suprising to me (the 2 putters). A couple years ago I went through training when we got our SAM Putt lab. The trainer (nameless) said that he has spent time with Tiger on the SAM Putt and he is the only tour player that he knows that actually "plays shots on the greens". In other words, he will purposely release more or less depending upon the putt and will change his ball position and attack angle depending upon the surface. Example he used was Oakmont greens vs. Torrey Pines greens. Now with two putters set up differently he can just changed putters and keep his stroke consistent (kinda like players change wedge grinds).

That's very interesting. I guess it's not unreasonable to assume that different surfaces may match with different "optimal" strokes. I wonder if Tiger did this based on some kind of research, or just his own experience...

Didn't Jack describe something similar in Golf My Way?

That's very interesting. I guess it's not unreasonable to assume that different surfaces may match with different "optimal" strokes. I wonder if Tiger did this based on some kind of research, or just his own experience...

My assumption is from his own experience, but as birly mentioned, maybe he got it from Jack or someone else.

Birly, I've got 2 Nicklaus books, unfortunately Golf My Way is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.