Question for mandrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
On page 36 of TGM...

"club head velocity is developed by Thrust. This Thrust may be Muscular Force and/or Centrifugal Force."

Do you agree with this statement? If not, which part?

On page 36 of TGM...

"club head velocity is developed by Thrust. This Thrust may be Muscular Force and/or Centrifugal Force."

Do you agree with this statement? If not, which part?
Ringer,

The phrase - "This Thrust may be Muscular Force and/or Centrifugal Force." - as such, is not correct.

The implication of “or” is definitely not correct and it should be deleted. It is not either one or the other, as always both exist together.

A more concise approach is to distinguish between action and reaction - muscular efforts being action and centrifugal force being reaction.

Centrifugal force only comes to exist as an inertial reaction force due to muscular contractions of various kinds hence the “or “ is not correct.

I wouldn't encourage TGM as a guide for applying science to golf as is done on another forum where he is taken as the absolute golf science reference and thus hinder progress. :(

neil

New
Would it be fair to say that it could read - "This force may be muscular force or, centrifugal force as generated by muscular force" ?

lia41985

neil--Bad reading comprehension on your part. "It is not either one or the other, as always both exist together." Does that answer your question?

I guess Homer was trying to scientificise (??) the observation that some players seem to hit the golf ball primarily using muscular force, and others using something else.

lia41985

Probably a way to distinguish between swingers and hitters (via the "or") with the "and" there for the purpose of saying there aren't many, if any, pure hitters/pure swingers.

2-M-1 and 2-M-2

It would be interesting to see what mandrin's thoughts are about everything Homer says on page 36. :D

I suspected as much.

Anything else you disagree with about it?
Ringer,

Let me just say that HK should have just published TGM without including the science. However it is such an extraordinary intricate network of forward and backward references that it can’t be edited appropriately. It should be left as such. Considering the context it still remains a surprising endeavor and a great contribution to golf knowledge.

Ringer,

Let me just say that HK should have just published TGM without including the science. However it is such an extraordinary intricate network of forward and backward references that it can’t be edited appropriately. It should be left as such. Considering the context it still remains a surprising endeavor and a great contribution to golf knowledge.

I have a question.

The book was given to MIT by G. Wiren with the task to find what was wrong/incorrect with it.

They did return it back with the comment that there was NOTHING scientifycally incorrect with Homers findings.

And then I read all your good posts and get confused.....

Did MIT not get the job done....?

I have heard Homer say that his findings may not be exakt/precise but well within the range to get approved.( I dont recall his exact words on this, hope you understand what I mean)

neil

New
neil--Bad reading comprehension on your part. "It is not either one or the other, as always both exist together." Does that answer your question?

No it wasn't .I understand that both are present -I was merely trying to modify slightly to emphasize the predominant force.

I'm surprised someone that is so incredibly nit-picky about the science of any of my other posts wouldn't have been smart enough to mention how centrifugal force doesn't exist at all.

So much for the great all knowing Mandrin.

I'm surprised someone that is so incredibly nit-picky about the science of any of my other posts wouldn't have been smart enough to mention how centrifugal force doesn't exist at all.

So much for the great all knowing Mandrin.
Ringer,

You really wrote - not a mistake, being absent minded – that centrifugal force does not exist at all? :confused:

For the records and to make darned sure could you please post it just once more, for all to see. :p

So much for the great all knowing Ringer. :rolleyes:

From a website which has been cited here SEVERAL times..

http://www.scigolf.com/scigolf/myths/myth2.htm

And of course anyone that wants to can just type "centrifugal fictitious force" and see allllll the scientific evidence. But I guess I'm the crazy one.
Ringer,

I am fully aware that the WEB is flooded with crazy information about inertial forces, such as centrifugal forces. :rolleyes:

Too bad there is all this misinformation out there which many will swallow, as is, without any critical thought whatsoever. ;)

But what is really hilarious is that of all people you had to come up with that very funny character Jack Kuykendall. :D :D :D :D :D

You really made my day. :p

Well, I only took enough physics in pursuit of my engineering degree to be dangerous, but I always thought of centrifugal force as the reactionary force to centripetal. It sure seams real enough to me, and in fact my lack of ability to withstand the centrifugal force of the club on a rainy day caused me to stand on the tee empty-handed watching my driver land in a nearby tree.:rolleyes:

Jay

I have a question.

The book was given to MIT by G. Wiren with the task to find what was wrong/incorrect with it.

They did return it back with the comment that there was NOTHING scientifycally incorrect with Homers findings.

And then I read all your good posts and get confused.....

Did MIT not get the job done....?

I have heard Homer say that his findings may not be exakt/precise but well within the range to get approved.( I dont recall his exact words on this, hope you understand what I mean)

This episode about MIT finding no fault with Homer's work sounds apocryphal. What evidence do you have to support the position that MIT actually reviewed the work? And given the fact that most who try to read the book cannot make heads or tails out of it without help from an AI, what makes you think that anyone at MIT actually understood what they were supposed to be reviewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.