Rate of closure: A real redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

lia41985

I am nearing the ending preparatory stages in presenting an idea I have about how VSP ("vertical swing plane"--a measurement used by Trackman/Flightscope i.e. kinda-sorta what we observe in terms of plane "steepness' in a down-the-line view of the golf swing) may be the ultimate determining factor in the discussion involving "rate of closure."

I am gauging interest in a discussion of this topic.

Obviously this is a controversial topic.

However, I believe I have an original idea and only seek to present it.

I do not want this to get personal.

I want it to be informational. I want us to learn together. I believe I can help to re-start a helpful discussion in regards to this topic.

Please let me know if you would at all be interested in this discussion.

Thank you,
Lukman

Last edited:
I for one don't think the nomenclature of "rate of closure" is very good. The club head is closing in on the ball just due to the velocity of the swing regardless of any rotation. The discussion you speak of relates to club face "closure" or a counter clockwise (for right handed golfers) rotation rate. Along with some other parameters that I think you may be thinking of to describe the topic, I would suggest a more descriptive name of what the discussion is actually about. But, I would enjoy a discussion about this topic.

lia41985

It may not.

I've seen a couple of the VSP videos that instructors, such as Michael Jacobs, have done. I've also seen videos discussing RoC by analyzing Phantom camera footage.

I believe I have something different to offer.

Last edited:
You better define the term "rate of closure" first before you have any discussion along with how it's measured/calculated. You can't just decrease ROC and claim success. You have to: (a) decrease ROC, (b) maintain the same clubhead speed, AND (c) demonstrate that the decreased ROC was the CAUSE for improved clubhead control. That's a very big research project.

To me, ROC is just our internal timing. What might be a slow ROC for one player might be extremely fast for another and they both have the same clubhead speed!

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

Moreover, it would be good to clarify what RoC period is going to be discussed -- between contact and separation or, hopefully, in the wider frame. If the latter, I am in a good discussion.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.