Reverse Spine Angle/Overextension backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while since I have asked anyone about my swing. I figure why not ask a bunch of people on the internet? Anyway, I think I over-extend my back a bit as I get to the top. Basically my backswing looks a little "off" to me. It's not tight, and it has never been tight. I hit the ball fine, albeit a little steeper than I'd like. I went through a little stint where my 3 wood went from my favorite club to my most hated club to hit because I'd crash land into the ground. I'd assume the fault lie in my upper body getting a little ahead of the ball and having to kind of tilt back at the last second to make a good strike. Pretty sure I've always done this reverse thing at the top of the swing, but I never filmed face on to see I did it. These were filmed ghetto style, basket on the ground, camera set to selfie mode.

Does it look like I over-extend my back at the top? And what might be the root cause for it? All of these strikes were good and fairly straight, but my main concern is my back. Sometimes I experience pain in my lower back and I think this is causing it. If you guys want a DTL I filmed a few. I figured I'd see who still lurks around this place. Any input is appreciated. Have a great holiday everyone!

My thoughts:
1. Arm swing too long. Stop the video when your arms are at 10 o'clock. You might like what you see.
2. Arms can generally only get that high when the right elbow bends alot more than 90*. A right elbow that bends early will often the be the elbow that behinds alot.

Nice swing. I also like the term 'ghetto style' as it applies to filming oneself on the golf course. You must be from a different ghetto than I. :D

My thoughts:
1. Arm swing too long. Stop the video when your arms are at 10 o'clock. You might like what you see.
2. Arms can generally only get that high when the right elbow bends alot more than 90*. A right elbow that bends early will often the be the elbow that behinds alot.

Hi, not trying to be combative, just want to know the whys for fuller understanding. Why would a R elbow that bends early cause higher arms and more behind R elbow?

If I don't externally rotate my right arm, it bends at the elbow too early and too much and the club just kinda flops and sets at the top of the backswing really close to my head. No width, no height, basically a left arm only swing. I think he meant "elbow that bends a lot". I never consciously stopped my backswing earlier, I just stretched out my right arm a little wider and I couldn't go any further.

I think the reason why a R elbow that bends early results to lots of unwanted results is because a bending R elbow means a rolling L wrist, which for many gets the clubhead too behind/shaft too horizontal, which instinctively makes us lift the L arm to get more room. Otherwise you're stuck. Causes OTT too.

Status
Not open for further replies.