Right forearm and shaft in line at setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a little advice. I have spent just a little time on another TGM website, but like the plain language I see over here, a little more.

How important is it that I set up with the right forearm on the shaft plane? I understand it gets there at impact, should I also set up that way?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Looking for a little advice. I have spent just a little time on another TGM website, but like the plain language I see over here, a little more.

How important is it that I set up with the right forearm on the shaft plane? I understand it gets there at impact, should I also set up that way?

Believe it or not, if you set-up at STANDARD ADDRESS, with MID-BODY HANDS, it is my STRONG opinion that—unless you are a slicer trying to fix it, or absoultely just hit it better that way—you should NOT set-up with your right forearm on plane at address.

Your right arm will be nessasarily LONGER at address when you have little AXIS TILT and very square shoulders.

At impact, your RIGHT ARM Shortens for those exact opposite reasons and THEN your RIGHT FOREARM should be on plane.

A PERFECT example is Samual Jackson Snead:

onplaneatimpact.jpg

I have been doing some of my own research on this, and I've found that if you draw a line through the right elbow at address, nearly every professional or good player will hit that line at impact, with both the right arm and shaft line.

Any explanation or any thoughts on this Brian?

Stew

P.S. - It looks like in the pictures of Mr. Snead, this would be true as well.

In Basic Motion

You seem to advocate alignment of shaft and right forearm at address. If you want them aligned at impact, why wouldn't you just want to start them there at address. I have noticed most pros have lower hands at address. What are disadvantages of lower than normal hands?
Paul

P.S. - It looks like in the pictures of Mr. Snead, this would be true as well.

Not necessarily and not in this picture.

Most players shift from elbow to turned shoulder plane on the back siwng and then either swing down the turned shoulder plane or shift to the elbow plane.
Look at the pictures in the TGM book for a better understanding.

Ok, thanks...Guess that makes sense...Just got one question for Mr. Manzella? What are the reasons for your change of opinion?

Just wondering, because in Building Blocks you recommend the right forearm on to be on plane at address?

Last edited:
Thanks

Believe it or not, if you set-up at STANDARD ADDRESS, with MID-BODY HANDS, it is my STRONG opinion that—unless you are a slicer trying to fix it, or absoultely just hit it better that way—you should NOT set-up with your right forearm on plane at address.

Your right arm will be nessasarily LONGER at address when you have little AXIS TILT and very square shoulders.

At impact, your RIGHT ARM Shortens for those exact opposite reasons and THEN your RIGHT FOREARM should be on plane.

A PERFECT example is Samual Jackson Snead:

[/img]

Thanks, I'm glad you said that. I was finding it hard to feel settled at set up.

Here are a few more examples...

Anthony Kim
ak.jpg

Chip Beck
cb.jpg

Eduardo Herrerra
eh.jpg

Grant Waite
gw.jpg

Tiger Woods
tw.jpg

Now I dont have any explanation for this, or any advantage/disadvantage, it's just something I've noticed and was curious about.

Stew

Status
Not open for further replies.