Rory’s High Ball Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

djd

New
During the Master’s several of the announcers commented on not only how far Rory hits the ball but also how high (and before the 10th how accurate, too) … I realize that swing speed (and the resulting ball speed) can account for the distance component but can some of the more knowledgeable posters shed some insight on what exactly it is in his mechanics that produces such a high trajectory coupled with that distance – especially regarding those shots from the fairway with the long irons and fairway woods. Any idea what rough combination of TrackMan numbers (Angle of Attack, Path, etc.) would yield the high, long and accurate shot? Thanks.

Doesn't swing speed increase both? I saw Sadlowski in person and that guy's driver was higher than my PW. Crazy long AND high.

No experts biting yet. So let's get it rolling: Rory hits it really hard and doesn't mind doing so using high spin ball, his hands are not too far ahead of the ball meaning he is not delofting it, and........his hips do something funny (stall). He obviously has very soft and relaxed arms through impact - note the wrap finish - and that would also add to the high draw shape IMO.

(Edit: no offence intended btw Curtis!)

Last edited:
No experts biting yet. So let's get it rolling: Rory hits it really hard and doesn't mind doing so using high spin ball, his hands are not too far ahead of the ball meaning he is not delofting it, and........his hips do something funny (stall). He obviously has very soft and relaxed arms through impact - note the wrap finish - and that would also add to the high draw shape IMO.

(Edit: no offence intended btw Curtis!)

Wrong. Low spin loft, period.

So he does it with loft? Sure, why not. Plays stiff Project X shafts and Pro V1 X (low spin, as you say) BTW.

The relaxation/softness in his arms is crucial IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.