Secondary axis tilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hue

New
Brian: In the downswing the tail bone moves closer to the target than at the top of the backswing increasing axis tilt. How quickly/quick should you get into your secondary axis ? Is the idea to get there as fast as possible or is it more gentle ?

Great question

I had no secondary tilt for years and after discovering TGM could not get my right shoulder down plane without this tilt which I got by moving my hips (especially left) laterally to the target. I have had folks say two inches (Chuck) and some say move it as far as you want since it will naturally turn to the left.

Based on the above, I have found that if I move my left hip toward the target side (laterally) to begin my downswing that I can get my right shoulder down the plane quite easily. Of course, I'm like Hue and curious if this is OK and how much is too much.

I did take some video and while back it feels like I am shifting a bunch, but on the video it is not as bad as it feels and my left hip rotates to the left only after my weight shifts to my left side. Once this rotation begins, my hands begin (appear to anyway) move out toward the ball. Of course, this could also be due ohter factors such as centrifugal force and/or extensor action of the right arm.

This tilt has really helped me get my right shoulder on plane and virtually eliminated my coming out and over the top (not entirely but mostly).

Any thoughts Brian?

Another side effect of this has been my head has tended to stay back more with my right shoulder coming downplane and the feel like I am coming down and under.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Depends.

The more you stand up the more lateral hip slide you will need (David Toms). The more you bend over the less lateral hip slide you will need (Oline Brown).

So make a decision based on YOUR SWING. Is it EASY for you to tilt? Stand a bit taller and slide more. Is it HARD for you to tilt? Bend over a bit more and slide less.

I'm more the second version, i bend over more and don't tilt as much.

Interesting

Thanks Jim,

Nice to know. I tend to stand a bit more upright (72 inches, 190 pounds) so I guess a bit of a lateral slide is good for me. At least now I have an idea of what I am supposed to be doing which is much better than before which was, get advice and make changes willy nilly.

km: You are describing the Mike Austin compound pivot. Of course you cannot get your right shoulder DOWN without the left hip moving LEFT. That's anatomical and simple basic common sense. The lateral slide is the easy physical action that starts the hands, arms, and club on plane!

Hue, I think only of dropping the right shoulder straight down to start,but very gradual with no hands or cast.Feels like a slow transition , Also I feel like I am hanging back slightly, when it gets waist high the left hip pulls back and the left leg straightens. From here if I go at it 90+% I hit a draw, 80%is a fade, kind of cool not thinking too much. At set up I am using more right axis tilt.Golf has been a treat for 6 months , TIM

Thanks Perfect

Thanks PI, didn't know that it was the MA compound pivot. I have heard it described (mostly poorly) and now I understand it better (if you are correct, and I suspect you are).

I will tell you that it does feel more down and under which is what my friend says he feels on his swing (+1 handicap with him). It also seems to be much, more powerful but I attribute that to being on plane more, especially with my right shoulder.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Axis Tilt

The answer to Hue's question is this:

You want to center first, then slide and turn.

On really good swings there are almost TWO sit down positions.

Not Brian

While I am not Brian, I think he means to move back to center over the ball. Then you slide laterally to the target and turn.

I'm sure he will respond with a clearer explaination than I gave......

Status
Not open for further replies.