Shaft length and lie angles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a simple correlation between adding or subtracting length to a club and it's "effective" lie angle? I've heard that adding 1/2 inch makes a club play 1* more upright than "standard". Is this pretty much accurate?

Is there a simple correlation between adding or subtracting length to a club and it's "effective" lie angle? I've heard that adding 1/2 inch makes a club play 1* more upright than "standard". Is this pretty much accurate?

Yep that's right. Remember lie angle is a directional issue and as the loft decreases the effect of lie angle is diminished.

Brian's answer that question relative to my irons, which at the time were 1/2 inch over Titleist standard length, was "Not really".

I would echo DCgolf and say - yep, that's right.

But I would add: these days there is really no such thing as STANDARD. You need to figure out what your standard lies are for a given length, and then the formula you give will work. But irons these days come at all sorts of lengths, and most OEM's have been making them longer and longer, so "standard lies" aren't standard any longer.

I play a 5 iron at 37 3/4" at 61 degrees lie angle. (And I play with 1/2" increments between all my clubs.) But you need to know what is the right lie angle for you, at a given length, because there really is no norm here. And most folks out there are definitely hitting 5 irons that are much longer than mine.

I would also add: some fitters will try to give the impression that every golfer has a "natural" lie angle that is correct, but any decent golfer will adjust their swing to the clubs they have been hitting regularly. So you also need to consider HOW you want to be hitting the ball. For example, you don't want to get more upright lie angles while you are also working on shallowing out your downswing.

Status
Not open for further replies.