Shaft Plane, Elbow Plane, Shoulder Plane???

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoscar

Earlier in the week I watched Mike Adams do a presentation on golf swings and body types. During one section he demonstrated some tests to determine if a player is essentially a one or two planer and which plane or planes (shaft, right elbow, or shoulder) they should be swinging on. How do the teachers on this forum go about determining the proper plane for a given player?

I start with the Impact Plane. It should lie in the intended horizontal direction.

Its vertical angle should:
* Be flat enough to prevent erecting of the posture through the Impact Zone
* Is almost always more vertical than the Address Plane
* Will usually run through the core of the torso, and
* Is of little importance, in the sense that, a plane with any incline angle can have the intended horizontal direction.

Many of the most consistently accurate players of all time have, from a point late in takeaway to the beginning of the Impact Zone, kept the shaft parallel to the intended Impact Plane with the left arm parallel to that plane at the top (Tiger Woods circa 2000). This mechanical feature of the stroke is least likely to cause the Impact Plane to vary from intended, since there is no required change to the vertical angle of the shaft approaching the Impact Zone.

Sounds like Haney's parallel planes, Todd. No?

Yeah, except Haney uses the Address Plane as the reference. But almost no pros return the shaft back to that vertical angle at impact. Even Tiger never did. Now if you want to align the shaft with the right forearm at Address like Moe Norman, then sure.

Interesting, given the Haney bashing going on at the moment. Maybe he's not quite as dumb as is being made out? That's a question, not a claim BTW.

The track record of Woodsy suggests to me that Sergeant Foley is being given the benefit of the doubt (undeservedly IMHO) whilst HH is being ridiculed. Just because HH is not a nice guy, doesn't necessarily mean he is an incompetent fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.