Slow play penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a one stroke penalty really that big of a deal? In a sort of game where a bullseye can cost you two strokes?

From my perspective the penalty, or punishment, seems VERY minor. The shocking thing is that he was the ONLY one they could find taking over 40 seconds. Instead of the asinine infractions that are typically called in from home and assessed, it would be nice to shift the attention towards slow play infractions. #no6hrrounds

I'm with you magic. The worst thing is watching the players hitting second or third in a group. They don't even start thinking about getting ready until after the guy with the honors replaces his divot.

It does seem like they picked on the kid. Maybe too afraid of the backlash from one of the "stars"?

How does Furyk not start every tournament +10? :)

I think, always dangerous, that he was on the clock (with the others in his group) because they had gotten so far out of position. If you're slow, taking way more than 40 seconds to play, but are still in position with the group in front of you... no foul. Doesn't make sense to be penalized if there is a log jam up ahead with no where to go.

John Paramor has a history regarding slow play. In 2009 he warned Padraig Harrington and Harrington sped up and made triple bogey and turned a head to head battle into a runaway for Tiger. Even Woods ripped Paramor for that.

In the 1983 Italian Open Paramor called Seve Ballesteros for slow play and Seve refused to accept the penalty and was disqualified. In last years Wales Open Ross Fisher was given a one shot penalty by Paramor.

Ridiculous call IMO, because it is not enforced on a consistent basis.

I agree with all of this but I can only hope this pushes people to play faster instead of circumventing the rule by loligagging to their ball while the caddy runs ahead and gets a bead on every single piece of information.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The dumbest rule in golf.

They put DT's group on clock on #13 in the first round.

OK.

Then he and Potter Jr. both hit the green and they were STILL clocking them the same.

I say BULLTURDS!!!

What if they would have lated up? Wouldn't that have taken a s-load of time?

Of course, they both made eagles and the Waterford company smiled and the guy with the clock disappeared.

the problem that I see with the (dumb) rule is that you can only get out of position when you can't keep up with the group in front of you, which is pointlessly stupid.

A fast group can get left behind by a much faster group, for one.

and worse, one slow group early on can set an 'acceptable' snail pace for everyone for the entire day.

Bubba should've taken 7 hours playing by himself this morning to make the point that just keeping up with him, ain't nearly enough.

This is about wasted time, and routines that are soo long it becomes comical. We're trying to watch great golf, not goofy @ss routines that soak up all the TV coverage.

I want a 40-45 second shot clock once you get to your ball and a three strikes rule. If you wanna let the shot clock expire, that's fine. But the 3rd strike and every one after that each round comes with a 1 stroke penalty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.