Tales from the US Open Sectional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If you can be very satisfied yet extremely disappointed at the same time I guess this is it. I try to never play the club pro card as an excuse but the truth is I just could not prepare anywhere near as much as needed for this. Scioto and Scarlet were two of the most demanding tournament courses I've ever played. Sprinkle in some pressure and 15-20 mph winds and it was an awesome test. Charlie Wi played fantastic to shoot 9 under but he was the exception. From those who shot one good score there was a mediocre to bad score on the other course. Just too much shot value and demands to not not make a mistake somewhere.

My day started on #10 at Scioto. Paired with Tim Mickelson (great guy), I birdied 11 and then 13, a very long tough par 4. Then 14 kind of sums up my preparation. A 250 yard par 3, I hit a great hybrid right in front of the green. Had a fairly straightforward 70 foot chip. As with guys who don't play much, my technique was great but misjudged the distance. My 7 footer went the other way and I made bogey. Usually if you hit one good shot on a par 3 you make par. I hit 3 and made bogey. I turned in one under and was feeling great. Ripped it off one in front of the gallery:) and had an 8 footer for birdie. Here's where the wheels came off. I just missed. #2 is another long open style par 4 which I had 40 feet from the front fringe. I took 3 to get down...awful. Next hole I couldn't beg for an easier 4 footer up the hill which I missed. Couple good pars and I really had the turning point of the day. 265, 248 front edge to a par 5 into a steady wind. I knew I didn't want the long bunker shot to a back pin but thought I could reach. My best 3 wood ever just caught the lip and I had that shot. I haven't practiced a 80 foot bunker shot in years so i didn't get up and down. Next hole I missed another easy left edge 3 footer left edge and so on and so on. I turned an easy 69 or 70 on a tough course into 74. I was pissed.

Scarlet is Scarlet. So demanding off the tee you know you'll make you're share of mistakes, especially if you're me. I started well but missed my first good birdie look on 2 and plugged a mis club(another non player mistake) and made an early double. Fought back with some birdies on good holes to get to one over for the day and made a mistake on 16 that was almost laughable. I had 120 middle of the fairway to a rock hard green where over is death. We thought the wind was down and right and tried to hit SW but it turned out it was into and right so I dumped it short in huge rough. Dumped the pitch in a bunker and made six. Birdied the next and came in with 73.

I'm getting a lot of "good showing" and "good try" and I appreciate it. I'm not totally disappointed bit I wish I was a little sharper with decision making and distance control because I had a legitimate chance. Scrambles, little league and lessons aren't the best prep but that's what I got. Maybe my last sectional but it was fun

I have no idea what it feels like to play at that level, so I can't say a word on how you feel! ( Although being as competetive as I am, I hate to beat myself at anything - if indeed you think that is what happened! ) But, I guess it's trite, and doesn't help a whole lot, but you got to do something I, and most golfers, will never get to do.

Still - well done!

Note to self... pitching little league does not help pitching, and playing in scrambles does not help scrambling.:)

You've got zero to be disappointed about.

Gotta ask, do all the Mickelson's share the same DNA with the wedges?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Note to self... pitching little league does not help pitching, and playing in scrambles does not help scrambling.:)

You've got zero to be disappointed about.

Gotta ask, do all the Mickelson's share the same DNA with the wedges?

He was mega long and a very good bunker player....he was in a lot of them. Super guy and will be a great coach at ASU.

Kevin -

Thank you for sharing. Did you see a lot of guys with aimpoint charts to read the greens? Curious if that is taking off more and more at the higher levels.

Kevin is a player folks!

Here's the link for the scores: Ohio Golf : 2012 USGA US Open Sectional Tournament Results

He beat many named pros. This game is hard and trying to compete against guys that are single, play non-stop and young is almost impossible to beat. Great job Kevin. You were close and I hope you try again. Hard to give up when you're that close (but your wife and kids should win out at the end of the day). Plenty of families wrecked with dreams of the tour. I suspect more families are wrecked by life on the tour than other sports (except maybe baseball). The dream is a jealous mistress and it's hard to get rich off the smaller tours where guys can play just as well as the PGA tour players (just not as consistent).

I would either play or not play if I was in your shoes Kevin. Otherwise you'll just end up being frustrated that you're not playing to your true ability. My hat goes off to the guy who just get out there and try it, like 2 golves TG. I'm beginning to think that being a club pro stinks.

You're damned if you play and if you don't. Keep playing if you can shoot scores like Kevin did. When you shoot in the 80s for two rounds then it's time to hang it up at that level.

ZAP

New
Nice work Kevin. You really should give it a shot at least a few more times. Having as much game as you do and not taking it for a spin would be wrong. It is funny how much different it could have been if just a couple of those early putts had gone in. Momentum goes both directions.

From my lowly place on golf's totem pole, these posts are fascinating - what it's really like at some of golf's highest levels.

A couple of questions:

Obviously your preparation wasn't what you wanted but what DID you do to prepare?

Were the courses set up to mimic typical US Open conditions? If so, is that something that can be prepared for since it's something not typically encountered?

Was the atmosphere any different from the Nationwide events you've played?

What tips would you give to a tournament newbie before and during play?

I know the "good try" sentiments may get old but just know there's some of us here that will NEVER, EVER even sniff the level of golf you play and I know in my case, I look at players like you with total respect and admiration. Well done, Kevin!

Kevin, Enjoyed watching you yesterday.. you're living the dream. Just keep playing because you do have talent. Jump off the porch and play with the big dogs as often as you can. Remember this..

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." [Supposedly, Mark Twain, but not verifiable.]

Burner

New
Well done Kevin. You did the best you could with the preparation you had.
Be proud of what you achieved and forget your perceived failures.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Kevin -

Thank you for sharing. Did you see a lot of guys with aimpoint charts to read the greens? Curious if that is taking off more and more at the higher levels.

Not to sidetrack but this is the TRUTH. One of my students gave me a quick run through and told me what to do and was immediate getting my putts closer to the hole than i was before and his real difficult greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.