Target Line Putting

Status
Not open for further replies.
An important introduction to Olympic sports was made in the 1896 Olympics which can be related to the object of sinking the ball while putting. What was introduced was the use of circle targets in pistol shooting which involves attempting to hit the bull’s eye with the fewest of shots. This can be done with just two shots using the following procedure:
1 For the 1st shot, fire at the bull’s eye and note the circle band of bullet impact
2 Focus for the 2nd shot at the high side of the impact band.
3 Make 2nd shot at this point.
The underlying physical forces acting on the bullet are gravity and aerodynamic forces. Gravity is the principle force causing the bullet to drop, and aerodynamic force is the principle force causing the bullet to loose speed.
In putting, gravity is also the principal force acting to cause the ball to deviate from the initial ball direction. Using a procedure in putting similar to that of the shooting range procedure:
1. Imagine the ball track when aiming directly to the hole
2. Estimate where the ball would cross the target line
3. Estimate the distance below the hole where the crossing occurs.
4. Choose the aim point of aim line on the target line that’s equal to this distance on the high side of the ball-hole line
Experience in target line putting could be gained on the practice putting green using three balls. The first ball (speed ball) would be used to establish a “good” ball speed for the specific ball-hole distance. The second ball (target line ball 1) would be directed at the hole and the target line crossing noted. The third ball (target line ball 2) would be then be used with the aim line directed to the break distance on the high side of the hole.

Reads well, but, in my opinion, it is both impractical, and is not a correct method for aiming breaking putts. Mucho, info out there developed by people who have dedicated many hundreds, probably thousands, of hours doing actual experiments on this subject.

Of all those who are concerned with green reading techniques, certainly the views of Dave Pelz merits considering. He describes in his Dave Pelz’s Putting Bible, a green reading procedure for determining the aim line. He learned the rule with the use of a tilt able table and a ball launcher for controlling ball direction and speed.
His rule is:
1 Observe the location and magnitude of the visible break with respect to the ball-hole line.
2 Move the visible break out to target line which is a line that passes through the hole and is perpendicular to the aim line.
3 Multiply the hole-target distance by 3
4 Aim and put at this point.

Of all those who are concerned with green reading techniques, certainly the views of Dave Pelz merits considering. He describes in his Dave Pelz’s Putting Bible, a green reading procedure for determining the aim line. He learned the rule with the use of a tilt able table and a ball launcher for controlling ball direction and speed.
His rule is:
1 Observe the location and magnitude of the visible break with respect to the ball-hole line.
2 Move the visible break out to target line which is a line that passes through the hole and is perpendicular to the aim line.
3 Multiply the hole-target distance by 3
4 Aim and putt at this point.

I really don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

You took what Pelz discusses for more than 30 pages, and
condensed it through interpretation down to your 4 steps.

Sorry, you simply can't sum up how to aim a breaking putt
in 4 steps. Actually, you can, but it's not very useful.

You said: "Sorry, you simply can't sum up how to aim a breaking putt
in 4 steps"
Pelz did so himself and he summed it in just sentence!! The title for Figure 13.4.8 states: "In your mind's eye, move the break (13.4.7, above) out to the hole--multiply it by three--and you'll see the true-break and Aimline"

Last edited:
Well he does sum it up, but I think it's logical to assume that he thinks the reader actually read the more detailed explanations in the book.

I said that what you stated won't work. It won't because you mis-state what Pelz actually says. You added in the word perpendicular. Now maybe he did say that somewhere, but not in the description for 13.4.8. He says "move the visible break out to the hole". The picture and logic clearly show that the angle is not necessarily a right angle.

Now I will admit that I stumbled on the perpendicular flaw. My point remains.
What good is it for you to sum up a process for the reader when the reader doesn't know the meaning of "visible break" or "Aimline".

Might be more helpful to simply promote the book. I'm sure Brian will love that!
This thread should probably get the "Pooferator"

I really don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

You took what Pelz discusses for more than 30 pages, and
condensed it through interpretation down to your 4 steps.

Sorry, you simply can't sum up how to aim a breaking putt
in 4 steps. Actually, you can, but it's not very useful.

You said “Actually, you can, but it's not very useful.”
This is what Pelz said about the current golfer’s green reading procedures by :
“When I measured 1,500 golfers, they read, on average, less than a third of the true break, set-up to about two thirds of the break (dashed line), then in-stroke compensated to start their putts almost on the true-break Aim line (while wide line).” Blissful ignorance? I think not.

OMG, let's try again.

Let's suppose that I come up with 4 instructions for
sizing a corrugated container to fit a product.

1. Determine the correct board test and flute.
2. Measure the Length Width and Height of the product.
3. Layout the box using correct scoring allowances.

The point is that 99% of readers have no chance of success
because they don't understand the terminology. It's the same
with what you are re-gurgitating from the Pelz Bible. The readers
don't understand the terminology unless they read the bloody book.
It's a great book. Pelz realizes the problem, which is why he goes on for page after page explaining his concept. It ain't simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.