Tension at the top...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow golfers,

Wanted to know what anybody thinks about the pulling sensation in the left side created by a large shoulder turn in the backswing. While it is a tremendous source of power, it seems to encourage me to pull with my entire left side to start the downswing. This results in a hanging back/spinning out motion that leads to a ton of thin/fat shots.

Is there a different way to wind up that creates less of this tension? Should I be feeling something different?

Thanks Guys!

The left side leading the downswing (and backswing for that matter) is very orthodox, GB323.

You don't feel the tension in your hands at all? (at the top of swing)

I'm not sure I understand the problem and these swing feels of yours completely.

What comes to mind right now is that either you should...

1. Find ways to lengthen your pivot.

Maybe something is restricting you.....maybe some effort at "x-factor" stuff...or any other kind of restriction. (in technique) Maybe you need looser shoulders. I also would always try to use my left shoulder to turn my right shoulder as far back as I can. (if that makes sense) Mostly it was just to make sense of it in my head. I don't worry about the right shoulder really anymore.

Or 2. Maybe you are simply trying too hard to lengthen your swing. I'm guessing you have tried stretching? Do you need more flexibility?

?

I should also add that if you're hitting fat/thin shots a lot that generally points to 1. open clubface problem 2. you need to work more on "Flipper" stuff.

Haven't seen ya galf though.

Bedtimeskis.

You are unwinding with your hands and shoulders leading the way.
Try unwinding with your hips - leave your hands at the top as long as possible.

golfball,
The tension you feel is caused by maximising the rotation of your spine between shoulders and hips...obviously you are at the limit of rotation when at the top...
This means that you have no choice but to start to move the whole "bundle" on the downswing.....however, there is more than one way to make the bundle react...you do it by, as you say, "spinning out"....which will have a tendency to leave your weight on the right side....

You sound like you need to shift weight first, before you start any major rotation back towards the ball...

Here's how I do it:

At the top, much of my weight is on the back of my right foor, BUT, I am still aware of pressure on the ball of my left toe...

The first "intent" from then is to get my right heel off the deck (while bending the right knee to keep the right side short)...obviously the heel won't come up immediately because the weight is on it, but the intent makes the hips slide laterally towards target (and also start rotating slightly) and the weight is now transferred to the left side (on to the left leg which is extending)......

From there you can rotate (around your posted left leg) as much as you like....

Thanks to all,

The answers were all very thought out and informative. I'm currently at a college golf tournament at Montour Heights CC in Pennsylvania and striking the ball well. So for now it looks as though everything is okay (kiss of death).

Status
Not open for further replies.