The inner game - any experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
art mentioned the 'Inner game of golf' by Timothy W Gallwey in another thread. I downloaded the book onto my kindle and started reading. Basically his idea is if you get your Self1 as he calls it (the part of you that wants to tell the other part Self2 what to do in a swing, critisizes it etc) to concentrate on something Self2 can execute the swing without interference of Self1 (leading to better strikes). He suggests that you concentrate on your swing and say a sound (like 'da') at the beginning of the takeway, at the top of the backswing, at impact and when the swing is finished. This isn't supposed to be a command but just a reaction to your swing.

Has anyone got experience with this approach? Does it work?

This should give you more awareness of where your clubhead is and I thought this could help me shorten my backswing (Got too much shoulder turn of about 120 degree and getting my hands too much behind me etc) as well.

What do you think? Any other good ideas on reducing shoulder turn and avoiding a too long backswing? I am hoping that working on timing and trying to sense the position of the clubhead will help.

Regards

ParHunter

btp

New
I read the book years ago and have been to one of his disciples clinics. I think it works best for those that would be described as "paralysis by analysis students" who have heard and tried everything. The golfers who would be concerned whether or not they should inhale or exhale during the swing. When you eliminate the 50 swing thoughts you actually have a golf swing.

I like some of the ideas, but more for playing and the mental game. If you work on "awareness" it should be on your pivot, bending of arms, extra wrist set, thumb length, foot flare, uber flexibility or whatever else that causes the long swing.

jimmyt

New
It's been awhile since I have read and applied what he was teaching.......for me I find something that works then after time I move on to some other band-aid. Rather than sticking to the basics that Brian brings to the table. Now using the inner game to apply or feel rate those attempts [rpbably can and will make you a better practice and reaL time player

S

SteveT

Read it decades ago when I was conquering my tennis game... but for golf I see Self 1 and 2 as the difference between blind feeel and enlightened thinking. Since I was also an accomplished musician (like art), I was at ease performing on the golf course stage. No stage fright here... fairways and greens... my stage.

When performing on stage and if you make an error, you quickly regroup and plow ahead with the rest of your performance. Guys who get angry, freeze up, cry, collapse... they're all clowns who just avoid admitting that they are basically inept.

BTW... I was a decent club player... serve and volley player. Golf ... hit and search... oh well .....;)

Learning to play in the Awareness mode instead of the Trying mode is what got me able to bring my range game to the course. 30 years ago and I still use some of those "tricks".

Read it decades ago when I was conquering my tennis game... but for golf I see Self 1 and 2 as the difference between blind feeel and enlightened thinking. Since I was also an accomplished musician (like art), I was at ease performing on the golf course stage. No stage fright here... fairways and greens... my stage.

When performing on stage and if you make an error, you quickly regroup and plow ahead with the rest of your performance. Guys who get angry, freeze up, cry, collapse... they're all clowns who just avoid admitting that they are basically inept.

BTW... I was a decent club player... serve and volley player. Golf ... hit and search... oh well .....;)

Not sure what's being said here - but if you're equating Self 1 with "Blind feel" and Self 2 with "enlightened thinking", then you and I have very different interpretations of the book. No doubt you will "feel" that you are right...

I highly rate the book. Your interpretation of it, not so much.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition in which people have an inflated sense of self-importance and an extreme preoccupation with themselves. Get help.

ZAP

New
Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition in which people have an inflated sense of self-importance and an extreme preoccupation with themselves. Get help.

First time I have ever used the ignore feature on any message board in my life.

art

New
So it seems the book is well worth a read then. Thanks to all.

Dear ParHunter,

Thanks for creating this string of comments, and deciding to read "The Inner Game of Golf". Having an education and career of dominated with math and science/engineering, the very necessary understanding of how the mind works and affects the psychological AND motor control aspects of golf quickly became a major curiosity of mine in this search for 'golf truth'.

Shortly after Tim Gallwey's First Edition of " The Inner Game of Tennis" became available about 1975, I read it, and the 'bounce-hit' advice, and suggestion to watch the spinning seams of the tennis ball allowed me to improve beyond my wildest dreams. It is with that high level of expectation that I dug into his "The Inner Game of Golf", both the original and Revised Editions.

Like the tennis book, both golf books continue his learned themes describing the psychological characteristics of all of us possessing a 'Self 1', and a Self 2'. His humorous approach notes that what Self 1 routinely and critically says to Self 2, not only destroys your performance, but you would never say this or anything like this to your playing partners, so why to yourself ???

At the expense of a slightly lengthy response, I want to quote, so that no one is misled by a lack of understanding of this Self 1, Self 2 approach.

On page 21 of the Revised Edition, it reads, "In short, I found that Self 1 - the verbalizing, thought-producing self - is a lousy boss when it comes to control of the body's muscle system. When Self 2 - the body itself - is allowed control, the quality of performance, the level of enjoyment, and the rate of learning, are all improved".

Hope the book works for you, ParHunter, what really resonated with me was the extensive Chapter on "The Awareness Instruction", which I believe, when properly administered, can have a major impact by speeding up and improving the learning and retention processes regarding the mental AND motor control aspects of golf instruction.

Art, You say there are two books - an original and a revised. What are the differences? And, you had to choose only one, which would it be?

S

SteveT

Having an education and career of dominated with math and science/engineering, the very necessary understanding of how the mind works and affects the psychological AND motor control aspects of golf quickly became a major curiosity of mine in this search for 'golf truth'.

Physics versus emotions??

Like the tennis book, both golf books continue his learned themes describing the psychological characteristics of all of us possessing a 'Self 1', and a Self 2'. ....... Self 1 routinely and critically says to Self 2, not only destroys your performance, but you would never say this or anything like this to your playing partners, so why to yourself ???

Self 1 - expressing emotional feelings.... Self 2 - basic motor skills. And that's why I preferred playing singles tennis to doubles because I only wanted to 'talk' to myself rather than burdening my self with the ineptness of a doubles playing partner. Playing with another 'thinking' player was a pleasure.

......... Self 1 - the verbalizing, thought-producing self - is a lousy boss when it comes to control of the body's muscle system. When Self 2 - the body itself - is allowed control, the quality of performance, the level of enjoyment, and the rate of learning, are all improved".

When you depend on feedback feelings for your athletic performance you open yourself up to self-criticism and confusion because your body doesn't know how to transform criticism into modifications. A good athlete can make changes on the run because he/she has balance out Self 1 and 2 so they work together. Most who play golf and search for feedback "feel" is punching in the dark. Science enlightens.

....... what really resonated with me was the extensive Chapter on "The Awareness Instruction", which I believe, when properly administered, can have a major impact by speeding up and improving the learning and retention processes regarding the mental AND motor control aspects of golf instruction.

+1 ... and you're on the right track, Arturo ...!!!!

S

SteveT

You are describing all great athletes ... unless it's golf where humility and humbleness is par for the course. Most who play golf just "want to make friends" or "do business" in a social round of golf. Of course, you do describe some who are famous teaching golf gurus ... not yourself obviously.

S

SteveT

.....and his severe jealousy of art is putting him over the edge.

Au contraire.... Arturo could be my long lost brother ... and I cherish him dearly. He is a gift to the forum and I like to joust with him on an intellectual basis ... not being 'pc' and massaging each others feelings in polite friendship.

Like me, he is a scientifical golfer who aspires to educate himself on Human Perception and Motor Control to understand his feedback feels ... in a scientific context. Conversely, Brian is a feel golfer who is searching for scientific truth in the golfswing ... it's like the twains meeting on this fine forum...!!!!

Unfortunately, some are still mired emotionally in their tgm past... and just can't make the leap into the future fully.

He is a gift to the forum and I like to joust with him on an intellectual basis ... not being 'pc' and massaging each others feelings in polite friendship.
Be careful with that jousting Mr. SteveT. I would hate to see the one remaining eye with which you view the world being run through by a well-placed jab from a lance....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.