Theory: Right hand coming off grip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll throw this l'il theory out there, and feel free to rip it apart.

Re: why a RH player's right hand may regularly come off the golf club around impact, either all the way or mostly, as in this shot of Mr. Singh.

Vijay-Singh-driver_299x399.jpg

I think that some players bottom hands are doing this is because, at that point in the swing, that is how the right hand can last help influence the upward "pull" of the club into impact. That's just the last flick that the right hand can contribute.

I've had stretches where my right hand coming off the club through impact would be common, but rarely hit a poor shot when it happened, actually...and this is the theory that I've come up with. I'm not advocating it, by any means, but it doesn't seem to affect my own shots.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Mickelson and Couples come to mind as well with their rear hand releasing from the club a bit through impact.

Don't think there is any 'flick' from the right hand, just a lack of resistance to going 'normal'.

Right in saying that the power is deriving from 'up' and 'back' motion centred on the left shoulder at this point?

(I am using layman's terms in this post, I hope it is pretty clear what I mean!)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
All three get pretty deep, borderline stuck, close to the ball and sling it late. That, combined with trying not to hook it, contributes to the hand coming off IMO

There's a tremendous amount of weight added to the club in that area for two hands let alone one to be carrying the load. I wonder how much those two fingers from the right hand can actually add to the action? I wonder if Phil being right-handed has anything to do with his reasons? Interesting discussion.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'm more inclined to go with Kevin...if there is anything that is similar to all 3 of those guys are big time inside/out guys who learned how to fade it.

All three get pretty deep, borderline stuck, close to the ball and sling it late. That, combined with trying not to hook it, contributes to the hand coming off IMO

That's crazy...you'd think if you were trying not to hook it, you'd "drive/hold" the s*** out of it...

Weird.

Looks to me like "breaking the triangle" by allowing the right hand to come off creates some leeway for the hips to be very rotated by impact, without causing a hook.

Right hand coming off = a compensation for super fast hips?

Really good slowmo of Vijay here captures the effect - the wrist motion does happen very quickly!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tXDnQ_3SvCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll throw this l'il theory out there, and feel free to rip it apart.

Re: why a RH player's right hand may regularly come off the golf club around impact, either all the way or mostly, as in this shot of Mr. Singh.

Vijay-Singh-driver_299x399.jpg

I think that some players bottom hands are doing this is because, at that point in the swing, that is how the right hand can last help influence the upward "pull" of the club into impact. That's just the last flick that the right hand can contribute.

I've had stretches where my right hand coming off the club through impact would be common, but rarely hit a poor shot when it happened, actually...and this is the theory that I've come up with. I'm not advocating it, by any means, but it doesn't seem to affect my own shots.

Thanks for your time.

Seems to me like they just have run out of right arm rahter than intentional adding anything, though it would be a simple question to ask them if its a concious effort to "flick".

Looks like a way to pour on the power with the right hand without closing the face too much in the process. I agree with Kevin.

I see it like dribbling a basketball or throwing a football, at the right tempo you can get a lot more snap on the ball if you use fingerTIPS late and very last.

Last edited:
Is it also worth noting that these three players, while not the most consistent ball strikers, were plenty long and very streaky with the irons. Lotsa kick in birdies from these players over the last 20 years.

This comment is only a sort of broad brushed comparison with no particular specifics. I started in the early 60's, but only got really addicted when I transferred to North Carolina (300 days of sunshine per year) from the Pacific Northwest 1n 1978. I was flexible and had a high hands swing. I don't recall ever thinking about pivot. I do remember a focus on gripping with the last three fingers of the lead hand and trail hand in fingers sort of along for the ride. Swing was up and then a fall down into the front foot, not around.

I quit cold turkey for 10 years from say, 1997 to 2007. When I started again, there was all this focus on Rotary swing and keeping the left heel down. So I am thinking that the right hand coming off, or loose is simply a more old school thing with less right hand participation.

Three awesome ball-strikers that have been mentioned in this thread... no doubt about it, they are great.

But I think it's probably safe to say that finding a slightly different way - without a total makeover or anything drastic - to get the ball flight they want that allows their right hand to stay on the club every time would make them even better. You've just got to think it would an upgrade, maybe a tiny upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless.

But I guess I can't beat any of them and I keep both my hands on the grip.

Maybe we are over thinking it with Vijay. I here deer antler spray is really slippery.

Last edited:
Seems to me like they just have run out of right arm rahter than intentional adding anything, though it would be a simple question to ask them if its a concious effort to "flick".

Maybe. Those guys seem so relaxed through impact that maybe they just don't hang on as tight with their rear hand as the rear elbow extends to its maximum past impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.