Tiger Clinches President's Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
Can't tell if you're joking but a better-performing Tiger really is what golf needs. Just a gigantic plus for the entire industry.

Not joking. Golf is better with a higher performing Tiger. Tiger winning the last point for the American team is just what US golf needed. And with 3 of the majors,the players,and the ryder cup being won by internationals, I am proud the American team won w/ one the of the best players ever winning the final point.

Team USA's younger players were awesome. Their strong play does make me wonder about the top four spots in the world golf rankings. Not sure how long the Euros are going to hold on to those spots (although Rory might have lasting power).

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Top to bottom the International team on paper is waaaaaay better than the European Ryder cup team yet gets smoked by the Americans just about every time. My only thought on this has to be the like of any vibe or home country interest in this event. Felt way more like an exhibition and just a friendly match. Fun to watch for the golf but this vent has got a long way to go IMO.

Top to bottom the International team on paper is waaaaaay better than the European Ryder cup team

top to bottom? Bottom maybe. Maybe. But tell me who the top 4 players in the world are right now? And sprinkle in a little G-mac, JRose and a renewed Sergio and I'll take my chances with the Euros against anybody. JMO.

OK, let the speculation begin! Kevin and conkanen, who do y'all think is going to win the Ryder Cup next year and why? Given the fact that the U.S. almost won at Celtic Manor I'd think they're a strong favorite at Medinah. But it'd be interesting to hear alternative theories.....

top to bottom? Bottom maybe. Maybe. But tell me who the top 4 players in the world are right now? And sprinkle in a little G-mac, JRose and a renewed Sergio and I'll take my chances with the Euros against anybody. JMO.

the euro's have had far more chemistry when it comes to playing together. but I think the US youngsters are developing friendships that will work well in ryder cup play. I'll take my chances with the red white and blue at medinah.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Good points. Even though I feel Westwood and Donald were number 1 by default they were still number 1.

Goofy golf on ridiculous course.SLOW and SLOWER play.Very poor TVcoverage. No replays, no players hitting drivers,no slow motion,no shot tracker, no overhead shots, no practice range shots, and on and on. Passive crowds. I defy anyone sit down and watch it start to finish. Very confusing as to what time? what day? Live or replay? I've watched every Ryder cup the last 20 years and attended Valhalla. Don't tell me this is the equal of Ryder Cup not even close. I bet the TV ratings absolutely suck.

The course played better than anyone. Royal Mel looked awesome!

Absolutely. That's my idea of the ideal major championship venue! Augusta National's nice, but Royal Melbourne is even better. If you have high winds and greens that are not only super-slick but hard as rocks then the cream rises to the top. Mike Davis of the USGA was at Royal Mel and he was lovin it! And you can see that he's trying to replicate the setup of Royal Mel by promoting venues like Erin Hills. Which is great!

I'm also glad to see that Whistling Straits will host the Ryder Cup in 2020. Hopefully we'll see more "hard and fast" venues for future Presidents Cups.....

Goofy golf on ridiculous course.SLOW and SLOWER play.Very poor TVcoverage. No replays, no players hitting drivers,no slow motion,no shot tracker, no overhead shots, no practice range shots, and on and on. Passive crowds. I defy anyone sit down and watch it start to finish. Very confusing as to what time? what day? Live or replay? I've watched every Ryder cup the last 20 years and attended Valhalla. Don't tell me this is the equal of Ryder Cup not even close. I bet the TV ratings absolutely suck.

That's what dvr is for!! Lol, I couldn't have watched anybody it otherwise.

The fans are nowhere near as loud as the Ryder Cup. The Captains are too buddy buddy, and most of the internationals are living in Florida. It's like the Tavistock Cup. Norman picking his Aussie pals over Singh and Ooosthuizen gets passed over by our media, who just want to talk about Tiger and Stevie, and Freddie picking Tiger. By the way TIGER IS BACK!!!!

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator

My one cent worth:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching golf at night, and I also enjoyed seeing a real golf course. Watching the best players in the world spray drivers into deep rough gets old. Meanwhile, mandating that players show a little creativity in their approach is refreshing. The commentary and coverage was shitty, as always.

The concept of having an "International team" is stupid from the onset. Do you think Ernie Els can actually relate to Y.E. Yang? Do you think he ever feels like they're on the same "team" any other week of the year? It's no wonder that the crowds lacked enthusiasm -- I would have rather seen Australia versus the U.S. Whatever it was or wasn't, it was better than watching any other crap the Golf Channel would have thrown against the wall.

In Australia we got the NBC coverage but with our local commentators. They were complaining about the TV feed also but said it was out of their control.

Status
Not open for further replies.