Tiger Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
One point I am not sure if anyone has mentioned....imo, it is easier to chase a record than having to "set the bar". AFter Jack broke the record, how many of those 2nd place finishes do you think he would have converted to wins if he could have predicted the future(i.e. Tiger). :)

Do you seriously think its easier to chase a record? How so?

Absolutely. Whether it's jumping down a flight of steps, or running a 4 minute mile, it's easier to do once you've seen someone else do it.

Do you seriously think its easier to chase a record? How so?

After someone beats a record, any record, the motivation is not as strong to pile on. It's human nature imo.
I think Jack did well to get the record to 18 but you can bet yer ass if the record was 18 or 19 to begin with he would have beat it.

So yeah...I think it's easier to chase a record than to set it.

I think human nature will make the person with the higher goal get better results on average. Take two physically equal guys, give them both a pile of weights and a weight bench. Tell A. the world bench press record is 400. Tell B. the world record is 500. If you come back in 4 years and see who has the highest total, I say it's most often B, who had the higher goal to shoot for.

Status
Not open for further replies.