Tigers penalty at the BMW Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only heard that Tiger got a penalty again, I searched for a video to see hat it was ll about: VIDEO: Tiger Woods' ball moves at BMW Championship - CBSSports.com

I had to watch it twice, I was waiting for his 'cheating' but could not see it. Watching it for the second time I've noticed that the ball might have moved a dimple, I guess you need to watch it in slow motion.

Is it just me or is this thing getting out of hand? It moved 1 dimple! Did it improve his lie? No. I wouldn't have called the penalty on any player. And this video wasn't even official footage but some private person taking the video.

Given that he have had several of these phone in penalties (but I can't remember it for anyone else), we have two possibilities

a) Tiger is a serious cheat
b) Tiger is delibratly targeted by 'haters'

I mean compare that with this video:
Is this cheating on the PGA Tour? - YouTube to me that is clear cheating but no one was phoning in.

I think the R&A and USGA should add a new rule that everyone who calls in to report an infringement is banned from watching golf for at least one year (and everyone who shouts 'in the hole' etc is tasered on the spot)

Just my two cents.

I don't agree that that is the purpose of the rule, otherwise we wouldn't have the rule about lose impediments.
I showed that video to my wife and she didn't notice anything, hell even though I knew I didn't see the ball move, I had to play it again to see it again. So if its oscillates it is okay but if it moves one dimple it isn't?
If he removed the twig and the ball moves - yes penalty. But he stopped as soon as he noticed that the ball would move. The twig was still in front of the ball and as you've seen from the shot he didn't improve his lie.

IMHO rules should never be applied blindly. Follow the rules in the spirit of the rules but not blindly by the letter.

dbl

New
Didn't watch the video linked above, but in the footage they showed on tv, the moving was quite clear in realtime speed. As to Tiger and his eye being above the ball, I'm not sure what he saw, but it would seem likely he could have noticed a change in positions.

According to what the GC reported, TW presented two stories to the ROs, the first was along the lines of nothing happened there, the second was that the ball oscillated. So, "we" would have ask "which story is it Mr. Woods"? Does the first appear to be a predesigned fabrication given he thought all along that the ball oscillated? Either answer flies in the face of the damning evidence; additionally even after he saw the footage he insisted the ball only oscillated.

Several of those items above suggest he was trying to avoid the penalty rather than cop to the truth.

Agree, disagree, or don't care...all are good.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I got a feeling that mgranato's good 'ol Tiger-hating in situations like this is going to cool down now that he's a certified instructor. :) :)

hp12c

New
TW is my favorite player but from what I saw the ball moved. Maybe to him it oscillated if that what he considers oscillating. If thats what he considers oscillating, then when asked by the RO what happenned he said nothing happenned cause a ball oscillating is not an infraction of the rules. but unfortunately the ball moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.