Turning Shoulder Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDL

New
My best ball striking occured last autumn after reading McTeigue's book and Hebron's DVD, months before obtaining TGM. The only swing thoughts I had were lift my arms and turn my body on the backswing, and strike the inside corner of the ball on the downswing as hard as comfortably possible. The swing was very vertical. In TGM parlance, I believe it is called a turning shoulder plane with single wrist action

Then for some reason, I wanted a "normal" swing that looked like Tiger, Ernie or VJ. Possibly influenced by reading newsgroup messages about how a flatter swing plane was more reliable and less prone to error. Disaster ensued for a few months, then I got TGM in the spring. I learned a lot about swing physics, theory and mechanics in the past 6 months, but my ball striking has remained mired in quicksand.

There were brief moments, lasting only for a few days at a time, where I was really grooving my swing. Nothing could ever stick, though. Although it does seem a lot of those times, I was having more success with a more vertical swing than a flatter one. Now I have never took a lesson, so this is all conjecture. I was probably doing a lot of out and not enough down.

My swing thoughts grew exponentially with TGM. 12-3-0 is the checklist of all checklists. I don't even think NASA uses a checklist that large to launch space shuttles. Not a criticism of TGM. Obviously, based on my posts to this and TGM forum, I have learned a great deal about the golf swing and have actaully learned to train my hands arms with 12-5-1 and 12-5-2, especially the latter.

The incredible amount of info contained in TGM is counterproductive when one is attempting to incorporate it into a pre-pubescent swing. Even a GSEB, whose current exploits are chronicled at the Chuck Evans forum, is taking lessons from Yoda and relearning everything starting from the grip. I've set the curve in 3 classes at an Ivy League University as a premed student, (aLthough I barely passed that freaking orgo chem lab)and TGM is by far the most difficult subject I've ever encountered.

Well I am thinking of taking the cold months off and taking lessons in the spring, or try to groove the McTeigue-like turning shoulder plane, single wrist action swing. Although my mi****s have gone down considerably, perhaps 15 -20 percent instead of my usual 50-60 percent, my distances have gone down considerably. Weak assed 130 yd 5 iron shots. I should probably concede defeat, and concentrate on finishing my degree. DOes TOm Watson use this type of swing? What other current pros I cold keep my eye on. Seems very low maintenance and very hands controlled pivot friendly. Well I got the rest of my life to figure this out. It's not like the average life-expectancy is still 40.

Good Luck Gents (are there any ladies here or on any golf forum?)

Status
Not open for further replies.