'Tush-line' questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have some questions about maintaining contact with the hypothetical 'tush-line' in the downswing and into impact if anyone has a minute.

There are and have been plenty of good golfers that would pretty much kept this contact and plenty that have not. If you are making your impact alignments consistently, does it matter?

Next, if someone is losing this contact with their hips moving more out towards the targetline into impact, what are the possible reasons? Is there anything that the club is doing that is forcing this action as a kind of reaction to the club swinging - to stop hitting it fat or anything else?

There are various drills to try and keep this contact, but my thinking is that it would be useful to identify and address the root cause as well. Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you!

I too have been wondering some of the same questions. As a complete amateur looking at my own swing, I thought it was a fault. So recently I did some searching and this is what Brian has to say from other threads.

As I said in another post just a minute ago, the TUSH LINE has NOTHING TO DO with the hitting a golf ball.

It is a BY PRODUCT. If that.

To me, Mick Stup, you are TOO BENT OVER.

Not more than 10 times in my 30,000 hours of teaching, did I ever worry about the "Tush Line."

If your "front" is "running toward the ball" on the downswing, I suspect you are doing it to make your hands go that direction as well.

What kind of shot are you hitting?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Flexion and Extension.

Every golfer bends OVER THEIR BELLY BUTTON at address.

At the top, some still have a little bit of this FORWARD BEND (flexion) at the top.

At impact, most have VERY LITTLE, and at the finish, every decent golfers younger than 75 years old have NONE, or some bend back (extension).

Tush line?

Ha.

Thanks.

I had been thinking it was more of a reaction to what was going on in the rest of the swing. The message seems that amateurs have bigger things to worry about and if we fix these, we will either stay in contact with the tush-line or not be worried about it because we're hitting it well...

Consequence or effect, to me it's one indicator of someone's balance.

It may not be a requirement, but it sure makes things easier. Forcing yourself to do it can be harmful though if you don't know how to make it happen correctly.

Quote from jonnygrouville, "with their hips moving more out towards the targetline into impact"

Brian, I would like to know who the good players are that have their left hip closer to the the target line at impact than it was a address. I'd love to see some pictures, because I have this problem and always noticed the great players don't. Thanks.

ej20

New
The worlds best known "goat humper" is VJ Singh.Maybe that is why he needs to practice 12 hours a day?

Lovely description EJ, but I think Vijay does a good job with keeping his hips on the "Tush Line" It's his upper spine-head moving away from the target line. I doubt this action would satisfy said goat. I'm guessing on the last part.

ej20

New
Lovely description EJ, but I think Vijay does a good job with keeping his hips on the "Tush Line" It's his upper spine-head moving away from the target line. I doubt this action would satisfy said goat. I'm guessing on the last part.

I said VJ "humps the goat",not lose the tushline.He did lose the tushline more in years past but has worked in improving this area more recently.

People assume that "humping the goat" and losing the tushline comes hand in hand but not always.VJ sometimes maintains the tushline by "falling away" from the ball while humping.You can see his head move quite a ways backwards during the downswing.

VJ doesn't always lose the tushline but on this swing he does.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9cdtWmJY5YA&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9cdtWmJY5YA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So what causes either? Is there something going on earlier in the swing that makes them lose the tush-line or hump the goat (although I'm not 100% on the difference between the two) to make their impact alignments?

I'm guessing nobody ever builds these kind of moves into their swings on purpose. I know I wouldn't want anyone calling me a goat-humper (unless I was as minted as Vijay - probably doesn't care what anyone calls him).

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I think alot of players lose it backing up to find the inside of the ball late. They cant get the hand path down on their own and humping the goat helps back the clubhead up.

ej, I don't think VJ lost his tush line at all in that video. The camera is positioned more behind the ball and not behind VJ. That will give the illusion that his left foot is closer to the ball and so is his left hip. You have to account for this "off-angle" shot when seeing what the hips do.

I am 58 and have had back issues and have also battled this move. I think lacking sufficient left internal hip mobility/rotation has led to this move in my case. It can also lead to sliding and excessive spinal extension which can stress the back.

It can be improved and it wasn't until my back "went out" that I really started to attack the problem.

Hope this helps.

I think alot of players lose it backing up to find the inside of the ball late. They cant get the hand path down on their own and humping the goat helps back the clubhead up.

This would be one. Setting up too close or too far away causes people to lose the line in different ways too. Generally if the arms are set up straight down from their shoulders then the player must "back out" a bit at impact.

There are a lot of reasons for it.

Sorry, but I still don't get this.

What do we mean by 'backing up'? Is the golfer moving their head backwards, away from the target to get at the inside of the ball? Would they do this because they have got too far forwards?

And high handpath - so we are talking about a steeper plane through impact than at address? So a steep downswing could be a cause?

And high handpath - so we are talking about a steeper plane through impact than at address? So a steep downswing could be a cause?

high hands doesn't mean steep VSP. But I certainly think that high (or outward) hands goes with early extension. The question is... what comes first, the carry or the hump?

Sorry again, 'early extension'? Do you mean flipping?

I don't know which is first. If it is a flip, if you 'fix' the flip, will you lose the hump?

I don't know if its been said in this thread, but I would think another cause would be the right shoulder not going down the plane which may be caused from an open club face.

Status
Not open for further replies.