Ultimate Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
First round of our Section's Championship today, +1, 72, T11 after morning shotgun, 17 GIR (two of them under regulation). That's means there were a lot of putts out there...

This seems to happen from time to time. Why does my distance control seem so off some days? Yikes.

Thanks for listening... :)

Tough for me to tell, probably easier for an onlooker...

I don't feel like I'm mishitting too many, but the pace of my stroke is most likely the culprit. I have an old habit of decelerating after a long backstroke. Any tips for the remaining two rounds? :)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Tough for me to tell, probably easier for an onlooker...

I don't feel like I'm mishitting too many, but the pace of my stroke is most likely the culprit. I have an old habit of decelerating after a long backstroke. Any tips for the remaining two rounds? :)

Dont decelerate!:D

ggsjpc

New
Distance control is about controlling the rate of acceleration back into the ball. Most people are poppers that have a very rapid rate of acceleration back to the ball after the change in direction. Almost impossible to control pace that way. Imagine slamming on the gas, quickly taking your foot off the pedal and trying to get the car to travel the same distance over and over.

Obviously you have the opposite problem. Focus on this area if you are hitting it solid.

I've worked on it quite a bit, but don't always seem to execute it consistently. Sometimes it just seems easy, and sometimes it feels like I'm always guessing.

I'll keep working on it! Thanks for the tip Kev... :)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I've worked on it quite a bit, but don't always seem to execute it consistently. Sometimes it just seems easy, and sometimes it feels like I'm always guessing.

I'll keep working on it! Thanks for the tip Kev... :)

create a metronome for your stroke, i teach this to students all the time. here is mine and what i teach usually but then allow students to modify as they see fit:

1) put putter down
2) slight forward lean
3) backstroke
4) through stroke and contact, always hit the ball ON 4.

Get into a rhythm, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

I vary the 3 - 4 in my head for distance control

create a metronome for your stroke, i teach this to students all the time. here is mine and what i teach usually but then allow students to modify as they see fit:

1) put putter down
2) slight forward lean
3) backstroke
4) through stroke and contact, always hit the ball ON 4.

Get into a rhythm, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

I vary the 3 - 4 in my head for distance control

when do you look at the target?

67 (-4) second round, 31 putts (with a holed bunker shot). Rainy, windy conditions in round 2, so I've ended up in the final group for day 3 (at 3 under for the tourney), but 5 back of the leader.

Better putting on the back 9 of round two, after a slight setup tweak on the 9th green.

Thanks for reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.