Updated swing--fixed clubface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little history: About 6-7 months ago I posted some video of my swing and had a high right shoulder going into impact and a little flip in an effort to close the face. I have been working on fixing the face and started hitting big hooks. I since have been working on the path and trying to swing left. I've worked mostly on irons, so I haven't worked much with the driver.

Let me know what you think.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uUgoaPo_CSM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uUgoaPo_CSM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_dUbN2TiRTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_dUbN2TiRTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I agree, very nice BUT

CAVEAT: the below could be negated by camera angle of the video but i'm guessing it isn't

To continue, the current view makes you "appear" to be slightly closed at address and you can tell in the video while the face is in a good position it, again, appears it could be a bit more closed on the way down. I have a HUNCH that if you are aiming a bit to right and getting the face where it *should* be you would hit those hooks. I just don't want you trying to lag the face more open to compensate for the right aim UNLESS it works good for ya.

Again not trying to get too into this because camera angles are always fishy but that is what i see.

Thank you.

Kevin I'm actually trying to get the left arm more vertical on the way down like you talked about in Sergio's video--it feels pretty weird, but when I do it right the feel basically is: take the club back, leave the hands there, turn hard and throw the right hand.

Jim, you guys never cease to amaze me. The camera is lined up with the ball/target line. I was hitting it left, so I started almost unconsciously lining up right, eventually way right. Then, I went back to putting a stick down. I do think on the way down I still let the face open a little as seen on the vid and still tend to draw it. I will continue working on that point, because it will be way worse when I hit the driver.

Oh, Jim I thought I saw in an old post that you deal with Callaway clubs. I've been thinking about some x-forged irons, could you do better than Callaway pre-owned?

I have also started hitting it a little toward the toe. What do you think about moving a little closer to the ball?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the props. I still need to get the driver and woods swing down, minimize my iron misses, then learn to score.

Me Likey. Good job.

Love the carry.

I had a ton of carry when I was a slicer. Then when fixing the club face lost some of it and hooked the ball. I then had to add some to feel like I'm hitting a mini-slice again, but with the club face being close to fixed makes it easier to control.

I must thank you too cmartin, I purchased your Tour Striker and got up to hitting balls off plywood (I broke a lie board, so went to some thicker stuff) to help lose the flip. Man that club makes the ball fly. I could carry it 210 without swinging hard. Thinking about teeing off with it sometimes.

Looks good, I like the backswing pivot. What's the difference in ballflight compared to the old move? More Distance? What's going wrong with the Driver?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, you guys never cease to amaze me. The camera is lined up with the ball/target line. I was hitting it left, so I started almost unconsciously lining up right, eventually way right. Then, I went back to putting a stick down. I do think on the way down I still let the face open a little as seen on the vid and still tend to draw it. I will continue working on that point, because it will be way worse when I hit the driver.

you may just be leaving the face a bit open because you are aiming right and doing it so that you don't hook. if you didn't aim as much right you can allow yourself to have the face more closed without the fear of a big left shot because you should be swinging a bit more left.

Oh, Jim I thought I saw in an old post that you deal with Callaway clubs. I've been thinking about some x-forged irons, could you do better than Callaway pre-owned?

No, i do my fair share of equiptment ho'ing but i have no deals with anyone. Generally i just go through trusted ebay golf resellers (watch out for the fakes) and/or the other various golf forums on the net which have more robust equiptment discussion. On those forums you can find people who buy things they can't handle and then dump them for a great price.

I have also started hitting it a little toward the toe. What do you think about moving a little closer to the ball?

you can try that, however had you had your lie angles checked?

Looks good, I like the backswing pivot. What's the difference in ballflight compared to the old move? More Distance? What's going wrong with the Driver?

Old swing sent the ball high, real high, and would hit blocks and pulls almost all the time. Didn't know where the ball was going.

Not really more distance, but lower, straighter ballflight. I haven't played enough to determine a distance change. Have only been hitting cheesy range balls. I think my misses will be much better though.

I have just concentrated on the swing change with the irons, but with the driver I fight hooks and big fades--continued face issues, I presume. I thought I would get a real good feeling for the iron swing, then move to the driver to have somewhat of a base to work from.

you may just be leaving the face a bit open because you are aiming right and doing it so that you don't hook. if you didn't aim as much right you can allow yourself to have the face more closed without the fear of a big left shot because you should be swinging a bit more left.

Thank you. I struggled for a while with that concept. It just seems opposite of how it "should" be. I will definitely continue working on it.

When laying a stick on the ground should it be lined up parallel left of the ball target line? More left with the short irons or more left with the long irons?

you can try that, however had you had your lie angles checked?

I haven't had them checked, but I do it on every club including teed up woods.

Generally i just go through trusted ebay golf resellers (watch out for the fakes) and/or the other various golf forums on the net which have more robust equiptment discussion. On those forums you can find people who buy things they can't handle and then dump them for a great price.

I have mp-32's now and am realizing, I can't handle them like I would like to. I am too inconsistent. I like the feel of the forged clubs, but I think I need a cavity backed iron.

I have checked some of the other sites, but Callaway pre-owned beats them--although, I don't know the condition of their "average" rating clubs.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
mp-32's are actually QUITE a forgiving blade that launch rather high for a blade. Maybe you could find some CB's for the 3-5 irons? Or replace the 3/4 with a hyrid?

one of my favorite clubs and they have stuck in my bag for a while is the Ping S58's. They don't quite feel forged but they are close and should perform similarly in launch/spin as the MP 32's.

mp-32's are actually QUITE a forgiving blade that launch rather high for a blade. Maybe you could find some CB's for the 3-5 irons? Or replace the 3/4 with a hyrid?

one of my favorite clubs and they have stuck in my bag for a while is the Ping S58's. They don't quite feel forged but they are close and should perform similarly in launch/spin as the MP 32's.

I have a 3 hybrid, but have only hooked the crap out of it so far. The mp-32's do hit it high. So, are they as forgiving as say the Callaway x forged?

Good idea on the 3-5 CB irons, if they are more forgiving. I'll check out the Pings.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I have a 3 hybrid, but have only hooked the crap out of it so far. The mp-32's do hit it high. So, are they as forgiving as say the Callaway x forged?

Good idea on the 3-5 CB irons, if they are more forgiving. I'll check out the Pings.

What hybrid are you hitting?
Don't mix forgings with cast, i meant look into a mizuno cb for the 3-5 irons.

greenfree

Banned

Good idea on the 3-5 CB irons, if they are more forgiving. I'll check out the

Pings.

Ping s59's or s58's.

dbl

New
The darn USGA groove rules has made almost all Ping irons non-conforming...like none of the S58's and the only tested S59 (6 iron) is also nonforming. You know us ams not competing at the highest level get till 2025 to use such equipment, but still....somethign to consider.

i don't know the history of this swing, but...the transition is a bit steep and the release is a little early requiring a forward slide to avoid hitting fat. I know this move as I have done it for a long time!

What hybrid are you hitting?
Don't mix forgings with cast, i meant look into a mizuno cb for the 3-5 irons.

It's a Tour Edge xcg hybrid with a stiff Voodoo shaft. I don't think it has much offset. I really like the Tour Edge 3 and 5 woods.

I got you with the mizuno's. I meant I would hit some Pings. I hit some i3 blade's and they felt alright. I'd have to play a few rounds to see for sure though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.