Video: WAY across the Line....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My SD Swing Video: WAY across the Line....

I've been working to eliminate pop-out in my swing. I've worked very hard on stepping on the right foot to start the backswing and an "in" path with my hands. I've hit some HUGE drives and good irons, but struggle a bit with the typical underplane problems: blocks or hooks.

I know the SD pattern advocates some degree of "across the line" with the top of the backswing position - but my club would be pointing to the next fairway over....or in this case the road by the clubhouse....
Does this amount of "across the line" relate to coming under plane?

Low Quality iPhone vid:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/omZ8qg8DR0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/omZ8qg8DR0s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I am going to keep working on the "club on hip" drill and I guess let the elbow fly a bit earlier? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, being that far across the line can contribute to being underplane, but it's the way you're getting there that can be the problem as well. You start to tuck in the right elbow about 3/4 of the way back, and then you let it fly. I've seen quite a few people with that type of backswing, and most of them have the same horizontal hand path at start-down.

As you suggested, I would work on getting the right arm/elbow to stay higher earlier. A steeper shoulder turn might help too.

Additional Questions...

most of them have the same horizontal hand path at start-down.

Wow - never really noticed that. Thanks for the input.

Will flying the elbow earlier and eliminating some of the "across the line" help to improve the hand path for the downswing? or is there something else to work on there as well?

I'm thinking Brian's "club on the hip" drill is probably the Px for what ails me....both on the backswing and downswing.

Last edited:
Wow - never really noticed that. Thanks for the input.

Will flying the elbow earlier and eliminating some of the "across the line" help to improve the hand path for the downswing? or is there something else to work on there as well?

I'm thinking Brian's "club on the hip" drill is probably the Px for what ails me....both on the backswing and downswing.

Fixing the backswing should help, but you'll probably need to work on the downswing too. I like your idea of using the club on the hip drill for both the backswing and the downswing (like Brian demonstrated in his tumble video).

nwb

New
Don't know if i am seeing the same thing as everyone else but I don't see any under plane in that video? More a very definite over the top move. I understand this swing well because its basic template is the same as mine and i bet has the same problems that i have been gradually eliminating over the years.

Whilst across the line is often mentioned as a good thing on this site - for me and most golfers i see across the line at the top, unless the transition is pro standard, you will be looking at a steeper downswing with a basic shape of shot being a pull fade type affair.

For me i certainly wouldn't be looking to fly the elbow any more if i wanted to stop crossing the line. Also, tough to say from that angle, but sometimes getting weight across to the right side in the backswing can lead to a sway type of movement and get the weight on the outside of the right foot. Don't know if thats a problem in your swing but you did say you like to start the swing like that? Weight should be kept between the feet during the swing imo.

NWB

Don't know if i am seeing the same thing as everyone else but I don't see any under plane in that video? More a very definite over the top move.

I think this is the "out" hand path in the downswing that lookingtolearn identified.

I should have posted up a swing with a ball - rookie mistake. I think the swing you are seeing is an exaggerated effort to swing left. I suggested under-plane issues, because my routine misses (blocks or pull draw) point to that malady. I very rarely hit a cut or fade. In fact I would be happy to hit a few every once in a while....

Regarding swaying: I don't think this is my problem, but I will try and get a face-on view with a ball posted. My swing thought to start the backswing is to stack the right hip over the right heel - my interpretation of "stepping on the right".

Thanks for the good feedback.

I really like athletically the position your in here.

temp1-1.jpg

Isn't that face really open at that point, tough to tell in that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.