WHO REALLY IS HJACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I AM HJACKNICKLAUS......I LOVE GOLF......BUT FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK I AM A BIT OUTSIDE THE BOX......I SHARE WITH YOU WHO I REALLY AM

I LOVE WHAT I DO.....ENJOY

Just the ticket to showcase young talent

By Christine Hawes

Published: Thursday, March 6, 2008 at 3:21 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, March 6, 2008 at 3:21 a.m.

The concert is called Just Kids Just Music, but founder Howard Karasick says it offers so much more than some children playing some music.
Courtesy Photo
THE SUGAR CANES
INTERESTED?
Just Kids Just Music concert

2 p.m. March 16. Braden River High School, 6545 State Road 70 E., Bradenton. $7. 921-3488.

"The name is kind of a misnomer," said Karasick of the latest Just Kids Just Music concert, coming March 16. "This is a full-blown concert."

With each passing year of the concert, Karasick struggles anew to find the words to describe the talent to be represented. The two-hour concert features 14 teenage soloists and groups from seven schools throughout Manatee and Sarasota counties.

Karasick says he chooses the lineup by simply watching school music and performing arts programs throughout the year. "I just know kids," he says.

He began the Sarasota County Youth Foundation in 1989 to recognize achievements of local teenagers, and the concert, a 19-year tradition, is one of several ways he fulfills that mission. Other foundation events include a spelling bee, public TV show and girls basketball tournament.

This year's crop of young entertainers includes three vocalists from Sarasota schools' High School Idol contest: winner May-Elise Martinsen, runner-up Kayla Bratcher and semifinalist Jasmine Akins. Other performers include pianists Andrew Lapp and Vera Higgs and dancers Marquel Waiters, Heidi Schneider and Candace Henry.

Groups to be featured include the Manatee High School Wind Ensemble, its jazz band, and its Sugar Canes high-kick dance group. Cellist Nicholas Gutsche, vocalist Katy Higdon and co-host Lauren Henry round out the roster.

The performers are from Booker, Riverview, Sarasota and Manatee high schools; Sarasota Christian School; Pine View School; and Heron Creek Middle School. Concert proceeds benefit the Sarasota County Youth Foundation.

ONE MORE.....

Karasick's latest coup
will raise money for kids

Published: Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 9:40 p.m.

A six-way bypass heart surgery and two hip replacements have not stopped "Harpoon" Howard Karasick from doing what he does best -- being there for "Just Kids."

That is the name of his television show on Blab-TV (Comcast). It recognizes feats of area youth whether they are sports stars, good students or just good kids.

He keeps his show on the air during these difficult economic times through the Sarasota County Youth Foundation and fund-raising. His latest coup was convincing Mark Wilson, the superintendent of the Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville to give him the cups used for the 16th, 17th and 18th holes during September's Ryder Cup.

Karasick was a teacher at Sarasota High when Ryder Cup Captain Paul Azinger was a student. Karasick plans to auction off the cups and donate the proceeds to his Youth Foundation programming.

Karasick can be reached at 941-809-8250.

Status
Not open for further replies.