why not written notation for golf swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redan

New
All golf instructors whatsoever remind me of musicians who can't read music. Two dimensional photos, tapes and DVDs are okay... but why is there no written notational system for the golf swing? A fairly simple written system for dance choreographers has existed for almost 100 years! With it, a dance, anything from a waltz to the most avant-garde stuff imaginable may be transcribed onto paper so that a different performer may be taught the same dance, a different choreographer may present the same piece after fifty years. Such a system would be ideal for TGM, which claims to be a concordance of all possible golf swings. The written notational system is called Labanotation (after the inventor, Laban).

When I go to a baseball game I like to keep score, sometimes elaborately, sometimes simply. But I have baseball scorecards from 30 years ago that I can look at and know instantly what was happening.

Labanotation is capable of recording all human movement-- why not the golf swing?

quote:Originally posted by redan

All golf instructors whatsoever remind me of musicians who can't read music. Two dimensional photos, tapes and DVDs are okay... but why is there no written notational system for the golf swing? A fairly simple written system for dance choreographers has existed for almost 100 years! With it, a dance, anything from a waltz to the most avant-garde stuff imaginable may be transcribed onto paper so that a different performer may be taught the same dance, a different choreographer may present the same piece after fifty years. Such a system would be ideal for TGM, which claims to be a concordance of all possible golf swings. The written notational system is called Labanotation (after the inventor, Laban).

When I go to a baseball game I like to keep score, sometimes elaborately, sometimes simply. But I have baseball scorecards from 30 years ago that I can look at and know instantly what was happening.

Labanotation is capable of recording all human movement-- why not the golf swing?

Interesting thought, but considering the fact that many people consider even the fairly straightforward notation of TGM to be undecipherable a Labanotation of the golf swing would send them into cardiac arrest. I checked it out: http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~griesbec/LABANE.HTML

While Labanotation would appear to be an effective way to document ONE swing (just like ONE dance, or move)TGM serves as a catalogue of ALL possible swings. Labanotation of all the variations would be a daunting task.

I suppose that the uncompensated strokes in chapter 12 could be done. This might add some modest additional layer of understanding to the process (particularly the subtleties and timing of weight transfer) but at the end of the day I am not sure that it would help anyone actually execute any better.

Even if I was fully fluent in Labanotation and could easily read a dance sequence, I am unlikely to execute like Baryshnikov. Sometimes, more information just means more confusion. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.