With the Help of Brian Manzella...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally getting to the point I want to be at. I worked with Brian a couple of years ago when he came to Ann Arbor but couldn't make it this year. Been playing some good golf and wanted to throw up a swing. I give Brian a lot of credit for helping me with my swing. Ive always liked Greg Mchatton's swing and have used that as a model for a long time. Have a couple of his video's also and am very happy with the progress that I have made in the last couple of years. Thanks Brian sorry I couldn't see you this year.

Ann Arbor Dave

P.S. The drive went about 310 10 yards right of target with a soft little draw.

YouTube - GOLF Swing 8/30/10

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I really like this swing. Awesome change of directions and wonderful impact position. Im sure the forum members would like to hear more about what you work on and feel.

Ok, what I work on. Back in the day I really worked on impact and trying to use my body to pull the club longitudinally. I worked with a pro in Michigan who used the ballard method. Had a great backswing but the downswing was bad. High right shoulder and a left ARM that would stay locked to my chest. So I worked on chips and pitches with a bag that was about 4 feet on the Target side so if I swung I would hit it. I worked on my chips and pitches and by experiment I found there are two ways to stop the club before it hit the bag.

First way: I would tense up in my shoulders and stop the club hitting the bag with tension. I notice Ben Doyle's "wobble"
Second way: I have the mind set that the only way to stop the club is to dump it into the ground. So use the mass of the head and let the ground keep the club under my hands. let the arms be tensionless in the wrist and shoulders, my body powers everything. Mchattons video on ohp really opened this up to me.

I get into some trouble when I don't slide from the transition. I usually fight a pull and it happens because I rotate and start radially from the top.

Hope that is a good start. Give me questions and I'm sure I can contribute.

Dave, I love the LCT. When I try and do it to the extent that you do, I have a strong tendency to close the face. It is hard from that video to watch the clubface position throughout the backswing. Do/did you have to employ a little twistaway or any other technique to keep your clubface properly aligned in the backswing?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Nice swing Coach. Love the LCT and how you release all the accumulators through the ball...not one bit of holding anything.

What is the ball flight like? High? Low?

I'll answer all the questions later tonight. I'm going to go play and I'll get a down the line for viewing.

Dave

Alright everyone. Your going to have to wait till tomorrow to get dtl footage. The one that I shot today were very blurry. I'll fix it when I go to the range tomorrow.

Last edited:
Do/did you have to employ a little twistaway or any other technique to keep your clubface properly aligned in the backswing?

When Brian came to Ann Arbor my right elbow was a lot lower than my left and I arched my left wrist from using to much twist away. Got the thumb more under and now I like where it is at.

Nice swing, do you have a dtl view? How did you develop the great finish swivel?

Punch shots like ben doyle initially. When I got more into Mchattons stuff I tried to sustain the line more so thats why you see my right shoulder really driving towards the ball. Early on when i timed the flip I stalled the right shoulder. So there where a few drills I worked on to get my body into better positions. The swivel I really dont think about. I think for me it just a feeling of sustaining the line after impact.

Nice swing Coach. Love the LCT and how you release all the accumulators through the ball...not one bit of holding anything.

What is the ball flight like? High? Low?

Its a mid bore when I catch it low on the face but truly a good high ball flight if I'm hitting up on it nicely. The driver is an old 360 Taylormade with a stock shaft. I just got a new pair of cleavland cg7 tours with kbs tour 130g shafts when I did my fitting in dallas. The next step is getting a new driver.

I'm having my car worked on for my trip back to school and they found something that needed to be replaced. So I guess the range is out for the day. Ill get out there tomorrow everyone sorry. This really sucks.

Alright!! Here it is. DTL view. This is what I usually fight. A slight pull. The good thing I have noticed is my grip is a little strong. I will be working that adjustment. Sustaining the line is a term Greg Mchatton uses for after impact. all it means is you are trying to keep the swing on plane left after impact and sustaining the lag pressure after impact. Look at some of the vids on the gotham golf blog.

Thanks
Dave

Link: YouTube - DTL SEPT/2/10

Really nice move Dave.

'I get into some trouble when I don't slide from the transition. I usually fight a pull and it happens because I rotate and start radially from the top.'

Me too. I think this is the one thing that keeps from shooting 72-75 consistenly. I am hoping to see Brian next spring and get it worked out once and for all.

Casio fh25. Thanks for all the compliments. Is that all you think it is though? Little more slide and fix the grip?

Status
Not open for further replies.