WRU -- passive, active, either? (story / question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two activities have really started to improve the quality of my ball-striking:

1) I've been working on implementing everything in Brian's "Building Blocks" video. I once thought that "Confessions...Flipper" would be the video that would be the roadmap to improvement for me. However, I think the magical thing about "BB" is that, if you do what it prescribes, "Confessions" becomes irrelevant.

2) I bought a plane laser device. My concept of "on-plane" was completely wrong.

So, I decided I would take advantage of the $10 lunch-time group lesson at the local course to see if the pro's diagnosis would be any different from those I'd received in the past from other instructors (the hacker repertoire - OTT, reverse pivot, etc). Only one other guy showed up, so we end up with a semi-private lesson with full video analysis in the teaching bay.

The other guy went first. The pro took videos of his swing both with and without ball. Pro says he likes the swing of the "practice swing guy." I step up to the hitting area and joke to the other student that the pro won't like either of the "guys" he sees on my video. I take a practice swing and hit a shot with my 7-iron.

Then an odd thing happened...a golf pro actually complimented my swing "I don't know who told you have a bad swing, but it is really quite good." The video didn't even look like me: my hands were ahead of the ball at impact, my left wrist was flat, and my hips were open. The one thing the pro identified was that in my practice swing, I released the club but didn't in the real swing.

I then swung a few times thinking "wedding ring up." The pro said "you got that quick."

Now, since no one is reading this anymore, I can ask my stupid question. In my practice swings, the release is completely passive, but to do it with a ball in front of me, I need to actively make my hands get to "wedding ring up."

Does WRU need to be passive?

Thanks,
Lou

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
hit one armed shots with a wedge. Focus on the proper sequenced release:

uncock THEN roll

Do it with one arm until you can hit a nice gentle draw with a wedge. Then add the right hand little by little.

BTW the above only works if you're a swinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.