Yes Sir! Verne Says Auburn-Alabama Right There With '86 Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Sir! Verne Says Auburn-Alabama Right There With '86*Masters - GeoffShackelford.com, With GolfDigest.com - A blog devoted to the state of golf.

Neil Best talks to Verne Lundquist about calling the epic Auburn win over Alabama and it ranks right with the 1986 Masters where the longtime CBS man made his famous "Yes Sir" call.

"For 27 years, having experienced [Jack] Nicklaus winning at Augusta in '86, I have been consistent and I've always said that that was the single greatest sporting event I've ever seen," the CBS play-by-play man said yesterday, not quite 48 hours after conveying Auburn's last-second upset of Alabama to a stunned nation.

"This one is right up there equal to it. And that takes into consideration a lot of different events that I've been lucky enough to be a part of. From start to finish, especially the finish, this was an extraordinary afternoon and evening."​

And because it's just so fun to watch...

#Auburn's Final Play in Iron Bowl: Chris Davis Return for TD - YouTube

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Yes Sir! Verne Says Auburn-Alabama Right There With '86*Masters - GeoffShackelford.com, With GolfDigest.com - A blog devoted to the state of golf.

Neil Best talks to Verne Lundquist about calling the epic Auburn win over Alabama and it ranks right with the 1986 Masters where the longtime CBS man made his famous "Yes Sir" call.

"For 27 years, having experienced [Jack] Nicklaus winning at Augusta in '86, I have been consistent and I've always said that that was the single greatest sporting event I've ever seen," the CBS play-by-play man said yesterday, not quite 48 hours after conveying Auburn's last-second upset of Alabama to a stunned nation.

"This one is right up there equal to it. And that takes into consideration a lot of different events that I've been lucky enough to be a part of. From start to finish, especially the finish, this was an extraordinary afternoon and evening."​

And because it's just so fun to watch...

#Auburn's Final Play in Iron Bowl: Chris Davis Return for TD - YouTube

Only game I've watched this year and it was a classic

My daughter is an Auburn grad and I was at the 2005 Iron Bowl standing next to her in the student section. Just an incredible
experience. But this game was off the charts. They are already marketing shirts that have 0:01 on the front and say "Hey Nick, got a
second?" Now hoping they can beat Mizzou and Michigan State beats Ohio State. But I think it's a longshot for Michigan State...

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Michigan State will pummel tOSU. When a team (tOSU) has not beaten a top 10 opponent since 2006 and not even played a top 10 opponent since 2009, its easy to get wrapped up in how good they appear to be. Saturday will be their strongest test in nearly 5 years.

Auburn, just this year, has played 5 top 25 opponents and 2 top 10's. Same for Alabama. Same for LSU.

Tennessee played 7, yes 7, top 15 teams this year.

The only other top school with a weaker schedule than tOSU is Florida State. Go figure.

Just goes to show that "reputation" will take you further in public opinion (polls) than actual work done against top competition.

On Auburn's tying TD, they had several O linemen down field on a pass play. That should be reviewed, corrected, and Bama should be given the win (which they deserve).

Sabantroll_zpsf662d8a3.png

Crazy not to... much easier competition, practically guaranteed a spot in the new final 4, wouldn't leave state for 90% of recruiting, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and no Bear statue in front of the stadium.

On Auburn's tying TD, they had several O linemen down field on a pass play. That should be reviewed, corrected, and Bama should be given the win (which they deserve).

Sabantroll_zpsf662d8a3.png

Watched the tape last night. One lineman was 4 yards in front of the line of scrimmage. Not a penalty. Bama and Auburn both made some bonehead plays. But Auburn made 1-2 fewer. Bama had them down 21-7 late in the 2nd quarter. Shouldn't have even been a game. But AU just kept running the ball right through them.
Latest t-shirt says Daylight Saban Time. Turn your clock back 1 second

Watch #79 for Alabama cheap shot an Auburn player at 25 seconds on the video….bottom left of the screen…..one more reason to hate Alabama

Just hoping now that old middle o the Big 12 Mizzou hammers Auburn to win the 'toughest conference in America'.

#stirthepot

Missed the game but did DVR it. From the highlights I saw I am getting the impression that if some team scores 90 points on Auburn they will simply score 91.

Status
Not open for further replies.