Young kid with cross handed grip

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little boy (3 years and a bit) loves playing with his putter and joining me on the practise green. He is mainly fooling around but he also starts putting and smal swings. He is using a cross handed grip ( with the left hand below the right one).

Would you try to change that in this early stage or just let him have his fun? He is not yet old enough to listen to instructions (he wants to do everything the way he thinks is best).

Will it later be difficult to change the grip?

Btw. I don't try to train a new Tiger, I just hope that he will enjoy this game as much as his dad.
Thanks

ParHunter

All the crosshanders I've ever known ( that stayed with it ) turned out to be very good players. I've been teaching one kid from 6 to 15 and he is rock solid.

My son is 2 and hits it pretty damn good cross handed. If it makes him happy I'm not going to mess with it. He couldn't be happier spending the day at the club pounding balls and putting all day.

The day will come when he figures out the crosshanded grip costs him some distance as he grows up. Through looking at his buddies, he will try conventional and if it goes further, he will switch.

I've already ordered him a new club. He had a US Kids 9 iron with training grip and he didn't like the club I guess because he couldn't hold it the way he wants.

My son did cross handed till he was 7. He just switched out of nowhere. Give it way more time.
my daughter first picked up a golf club this same way, she is 3. Maybe it's their way of managing the forces with an object sitting on the ground because she does not
hold and swing a baseball bat cross handed.

The day will come when he figures out the crosshanded grip costs him some distance as he grows up. Through looking at his buddies, he will try conventional and if it goes further, he will switch.

Is this accurate in general? I know an older guy (in his late 50's/early 60's) who plays cross who can move it. He'd be even longer if he was a conventional swinger? My ego couldn't handle that :)

Burner

New
Just saying what I have seen.

If a child is right handed they will tend to pick up a club with that hand AND at the end of the handle. This leaves only one place for the other hand to go and that is (cross-handed) below the right.

Many, many kids adopt this procedure initially but soon grow out of it.

Is this accurate in general? I know an older guy (in his late 50's/early 60's) who plays cross who can move it. He'd be even longer if he was a conventional swinger? My ego couldn't handle that :)
I'm just relaying what Penick said in the little Green Book. He said that a right handed child understands instinctively the left arm must be straight at impact so they just grip it left hand low. It might not be necessarily true about the longer distance thing, but regardless, most kids just switch because they notice everyone else gripping it conventionally. The only way to know about the distance is to try it.

282323_10150983295778729_1484633496_n.jpg

526890_10150983297263729_1663307364_n.jpg

282269_10150983297063729_677546399_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.