Upright Swings are bad—right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
E.g. Mike Dobbyn, the former Re-Max LD Champ, one year before Sadlowski.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4a0OpWUEvQ[/media]

I do not remember now the other guy about whom I am also positive, would need to look more inside my memory - too much Re-Max champs watched in the net to remember all names.

Cheers

you need glasses...here's another pause @ 3 seconds in

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtuADp2--o8[/media]

He simply doesn't FINISH all the way to the end of a orthodox backswing so he appears flat but he is right at the TSP or maybe just a HAIR under it; either way it is very ORTHODOX.

In Brian's famous words....next pleaase.

Did I read the reviews? No I didn't, because like other reviews on things on this site, it doesn't really give this 'non koolaid' drinker a good idea of the pros and cons because its fairly biased. I didn't read the reviews the Bush camp put out about his winning the presidential election because I wasn't in favor of it. If I wanted a real review, I would speak so someone who didn't drink the Koolaid, but it was probably a prerequisite to the tuition.

How can you say that Flat swings have come and gone on tours and say that Upright swings haven't? Can't I flip it and give you your statement right back to you?

The Mac versus PC ads are a pretty good example.. touche.. but I don't see the good people at Apple saying that IBM's are awful, show a bunch of pictures of PCs with viruses, and then say "chew on this". I'm all for passion in your knowledge but come on man, you can't say that its your way or the highway on this site. I know its yours but rather than shove your information down people's throats, be kind and explain why you feel that way.

I can't say that anyone has told me anything regarding harsh responses posted here that I disagree with. No body has shaped my viewpoint on this because I have read it with my own eyes. :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::confused:

I know there are sites where the mods/owners edit content and ban people for saying ridiculous things.. such as things said here.. but the mods/owners are not always the ones saying it! I can give you another example of a forum you need rake after leaving where the owner/mod is a pompous ass, but the sites that I visit have very gracious and helpful owners and mods who, from my knowledge, have not banned anyone or edited any content because they look forward to a constructive debate to help shape an idea.

Those who are good tell people... "I can teach as well as I say I can"

Those who are great, people tell them ... "............."

Since this site is full of clones, chew on that boys and tell us how great he is

Again, don't choke on it.

next pleease

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Worst debater in forum history.

Did I read the reviews? No I didn't, because like other reviews on things on this site, it doesn't really give this 'non koolaid' drinker a good idea of the pros and cons because its fairly biased.

That's the point.

You guys don't care if I can teach and explain as good as I say I can, or others who have worked with me do, because folks like you never care about the truth, they just sell whatever "Magic Tonic" they have to sell.

BTW, about half of the forum attendees are folks I have never met, and just thought it would be a good place to learn useful information.

They did.

I really don't see how what folks who traveled around the globe to come to my seminar are biased in their reviews...like the two men from Estonia.

How can you say that Flat swings have come and gone on tours and say that Upright swings haven't?

Orthodox swings NEVER go away. That's why they are called orthodox.

The pendulum swings back and forth from upright to flat at the extremes, and anyone who can read can see that I did not imply otherwise.

You must love flat swings.

I love ALL SWINGS that work.

Funny, when I put up the swing of Derek Sanders, who I started working with in April, and who won two big tournaments in this PGA Section, after not having won anything fir a couple of years, you went mute.

I don't see the good people at Apple saying that IBM's are awful, show a bunch of pictures of PCs with viruses, and then say "chew on this".

No, they pretty much say chew on this as they make fun of the fact that PCs are a mess.

you can't say that its your way or the highway on this site. I know its yours but rather than shove your information down people's throats, be kind and explain why you feel that way.

I can do as I please.

My job on here is to be informative, and be fun, while I help golfers play better and teachers teach better.

Explain why I feel "this" way?

I posted this thread starter because upright swings were getting a bad rap.

No body has shaped my viewpoint on this because I have read it with my own eyes.

Your own "totally unbiased" eyes.

I'd bet a dinner at Flemming's that you have a horse in the race.

Those who are good tell people... "I can teach as well as I say I can"

Those who are great, people tell them ... "............."

Since this site is full of clones, chew on that boys and tell us how great he is

Nah.

This site—and all the good that comes with it—is the complete result of my being able to back up my big mouth.

That's the part that scares you to death.

Don't be afraid. It's going to be alright. :cool:

Orthodox swings NEVER go away. That's why they are called orthodox.

Wouldn't that be YOU calling them orthodox?

If I called all flat swings (as per the context you use) NORMAL, I could very easily say that NORMAL swings never go away.

I'm all for swings that work, regardless of what they look like and there are components, that when linked together, make a great action. Some call things 'compensations' and others call things 'components' and if they work, they work. What I'm saying is that there's a level of insecurity involved when people have to treat others with disrespect to prove a point. I'm not afraid, I just feel sorry that you have clouded some decent information on this site with insults.

I don't want to threadjack any longer because I think there are still some original proofs to be provided regarding the wonders of an upright swing.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Like I said, the worst ever...

I have said plenty of times on the subject of "top of the backswing plane angles" that swings on or very near the "through the turned right shoulder socket plane" are "orthodox."

Slicer McGolf;153474/ said:
What I'm saying is that there's a level of insecurity involved when people have to treat others with disrespect to prove a point. I'm not afraid, I just feel sorry that you have clouded some decent information on this site with insults.

You wouldn't even be ON this thread if you DIDN'T HAVE A HORSE IN THE RACE.

Clearly you love flat swings, and CONTINUE TO IGNORE one of my flat swing student's videos.

I have said plenty of times on the subject of "top of the backswing plane angles" that swings on or very near the "through the turned right shoulder socket plane" are "orthodox."

Slicer McGolf;153474/ said:
I think there are still some original proofs to be provided regarding the wonders of an upright swing.

The 499 & 67 didn't do it for you?

You want more?

Where in the hell is your collage?

:eek:

I don't want to threadjack any longer because I think there are still some original proofs to be provided regarding the wonders of an upright swing.

That would be appreciated because you were becoming disrespectful.

(my opinion of course)

You have choices in life to copy success or shy away from it. The results show upright has been very successful over the years. Maybe guys like Nicklaus and Tiger found that out early they each had 1 or 2 teachers, 1 or 2 caddies why not copy it. Many ways to skin the cat but history shows the same results.If the debate is flat vs upright so far flat dosent have a leg to stand on bar none!

vandal

New
You have choices in life to copy success or shy away from it. The results show upright has been very successful over the years. Maybe guys like Nicklaus and Tiger found that out early they each had 1 or 2 teachers, 1 or 2 caddies why not copy it. Many ways to skin the cat but history shows the same results.If the debate is flat vs upright so far flat dosent have a leg to stand on bar none!

ee cummings was a great poet go ahead and try and copy him

babe ruth was a great hitter go ahead and copy him

sylvia plath was great go copy her

see the point

see the point

Yeah vandral, I see the point...swing flat that's where its at! Upright sucks!

and your down 3 zip.....;)

(and 2-1 too!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:

see the point

you're in a box.....you put yourself there.....you can fight your way out

the guy who loves all effective patterns will win over the guy who loves two - or one.....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
OK....

This thread is going nowhere.

Let's review:

I showed many great players who swung upright, and their cumulative record.

I did this because current "pop instruction" likes flat swings.

Why did i do it?

Because there are MANY GOLFERS who have upright swings, and just need some real teaching to get fixed, who are throwing the baby out with the bath water and might wind up out of golf, who could have been Tour players.

The same goes for average players.

There are three camps off the top of my head who like flatter swings. They took the upright picture as a threat to their existence. Or at least their moral superiority complex.

I made my point, and they made another one of my favorite points:

Method teachers have thin skins.

NEXT!

th_F.jpg

I couldn't get this much bigger, but from right to left, top to bottom: hogan, knudson, player, rodriguez, seve, norman, brewer, palmer.

I think there are more images of palmer being on the flatter side than steep, but camera angles can make even the hottest chick look ugly.

Actually, as talented writers go, mediocre and over-rated. Not even close to HOF. Not to be too mean about it, but she's famous because she killed herself. Loads of promise and sort of the Aaron Baddeley of diarists.

'Not sure if her swing was flat or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.