Tiger.......ehhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching a bit of the Abu Dhabi tournament, the Nike commercial takes on a whole new meaning.

Breaking windows, hitting people...that commercial will get spoofed...and soon.

Just read Rory put his Scotty Cameron putter in the bag with Nike head cover for round two. Im thinking he should do that with all his clubs.

Just read Rory put his Scotty Cameron putter in the bag with Nike head cover for round two. Im thinking he should do that with all his clubs.

Think we'll see a set of these next week? :)

images

If Tiger NEVER took another golf lesson the rest of his life, he'd be better off.

Could be, but not necessarily true. Do we have any examples of Tiger "figuring it out" all by himself without anyone else's help? Especially since 1995 or 96?

Dariusz J.

If Tiger NEVER took another golf lesson the rest of his life, he'd be better off.

I would tend to agree with this. If not true, however, he should find someone much better than Haney before and Foley now.
But it's not my circus and not my monkeys, LOL.

Cheers

Could be, but not necessarily true. Do we have any examples of Tiger "figuring it out" all by himself without anyone else's help? Especially since 1995 or 96?
The mentality that someone like Tiger needs a babysitter coach to help him perform a 2 second motion is laughable. I can't help but think everything Tiger needed to know he knew when he was very very young.

This is the troubling thing with the people on TOUR these days. The vast majority of them think they need someone to set there and watch them every time their golf bag is within a half mile vicinity. You talk about Jack and his swing thoughts, but how often did he actually go see Grout? Once, twice a year? He knew how to fix himself, only seeing Grout in extreme cases where he simply could not fix himself after months of trial and error.

Tiger is a victim of his own paralysis by analysis. He somehow thinks the more he knows about the golf swing, much more than is really necessary, the better he'll be. He takes 10 steps up and proceeds to fall down the stairs in a vain attempt at finding some perfect motion, as if one existed. Do you ever wonder if he never changed the motion he used to win the 1997 Masters by a landslide, how good he would have been? The message I got from his book is he only changed it because he didn't like the way it looked. Very disheartening.

The mentality that someone like Tiger needs a babysitter coach to help him perform a 2 second motion is laughable. I can't help but think everything Tiger needed to know he knew when he was very very young.

This is the troubling thing with the people on TOUR these days. The vast majority of them think they need someone to set there and watch them every time their golf bag is within a half mile vicinity. You talk about Jack and his swing thoughts, but how often did he actually go see Grout? Once, twice a year? He knew how to fix himself, only seeing Grout in extreme cases where he simply could not fix himself after months of trial and error.

Tiger is a victim of his own paralysis by analysis. He somehow thinks the more he knows about the golf swing, much more than is really necessary, the better he'll be. He takes 10 steps up and proceeds to fall down the stairs in a vain attempt at finding some perfect motion, as if one existed. Do you ever wonder if he never changed the motion he used to win the 1997 Masters by a landslide, how good he would have been? The message I got from his book is he only changed it because he didn't like the way it looked. Very disheartening.

Do you have any examples of Tiger "figuring it out" all by himself? The only one I can think of is when he parted with Haney and wasn't working with Sean Foley yet. That didn't seem to work out very well.......

Do you ever wonder if he never changed the motion he used to win the 1997 Masters by a landslide, how good he would have been?

It's pointless to wonder because we can never know. He could've won every tournament he entered OR he could've been forced into early retirement years ago and won a lot fewer majors because his left knee ended up permanently like hamburger. Besides, EVERYONE who changes their swing does it to get better. He did change his swing after that Masters, and then what happened? He blew everyone out in the US Open with his new swing. He changed it again, then what happened? He blew out everyone in the Open. I think when an athlete decides he no longer wants to improve, it's time to hang it up because his competitive spirit is dead. Now I'm certainly not saying that topping drives in competition is an improvement, but the point is it's easy to make judgements when you have hindsight.

David, I just think you have a tendency to over simplify to the point of absurdity sometimes. As ridiculous as you think Lifter's approach to swing thoughts is, your approach of "Just hit the ball, dude!" can be every bit of ridiculous. Every try telling someone with the shanks, to just swing the club? Did they stop shanking? Yeah, didn't think so.

But did he get better because he changed his swing? Or was he just that good to begin with? I believe Tiger can win with any swing you have him copy. This is where we can agree to disagree on the matter, and it doesn't bug me one bit.

And I think Tiger's stint of poor play in between Haney and Foley maybe, just maybe, had something to do with his personal life errors crashing down onto his head and breaking up his family. Jack never let himself get into such a mess. His personal life was ALWAYS his backbone, and he put being a great father and husband first before EVERYTHING.

I am not advocating have absolutely nothing in your head but "wack the ball!" when you play, either. I am in line with Harvey Penick and "taking dead aim." Target golf. Shanks are a totally different story. ;) Don't get it twisted. I put in work on the range and am a nutcase just like everyone else trying to make my motion work. But once it's time to play, I am there. That includes whether my swing is working or not.

Last edited:

Burner

New

Thats his problem.

Information overload and figuring out deficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.