Tiger.......ehhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

I wonder why it would be bad to call Woods "Hagen of our times". His accuracy sucks, his recoveries are often monumental. Why does he want to be another Hogan while having no capability enough to fulfill this goal ? He should forget all this crap and just play golf having Walter's motto carved well..."you can play three lousy shots and one brilliant and still have a par". How true. Now imagine someone of Tiger's caliber who, as Hogan wanted, can eventually birdie every hole. Shall I go on ?

Cheers

Marginally related

But can anyone explain the two shot penalty today? I know it means I'm an idiot, but I'll carry on in hopes of learning something.

Tiger has an embedded ball, which his playing partner agrees with. He takes a drop, right by the embedding.
Whoops, turns out embedded ball rule doesnt apply in "sandy areas", just "through the green" on the European Tour condition of competition. (If it's not a hazard like a bunker, that seems silly, but whatever.)

So fine, he took a legal "unplayable" lie, and dropped legally well within the club length. One stroke penalty, TW plays the weekend and everyone's happy.

Why two strokes?

Did he drop out of the area? Unplayable is a hazard has to be dropped in the hazard. I didn't see it just a guess

20-2a/3
Ball Dropped in Improper Manner and in Wrong Place

Q.A player obtaining relief from ground under repair dropped a ball in a manner not conforming with Rule 20-2a and in a wrong place. What is the ruling?

A.If the player corrected the errors before making his next stroke, there was no penalty - Rule 20-6.

If the player failed to correct the errors before making his next stroke:

(a) In match play, he lost the hole for playing from a wrong place - Rule 20-7b.

(b) In stroke play, he incurred a penalty of two strokes. Although the player breached both Rule 20-2a for dropping in an improper manner and Rule 25-1b by taking relief in the wrong place and then making a stroke from that wrong place, the player incurs only the two stroke penalty for playing from a wrong place (see Note 3 under Rule 20-7c). (Revised)

20-2a/3
Ball Dropped in Improper Manner and in Wrong Place

Q.A player obtaining relief from ground under repair dropped a ball in a manner not conforming with Rule 20-2a and in a wrong place. What is the ruling?

A.If the player corrected the errors before making his next stroke, there was no penalty - Rule 20-6.

If the player failed to correct the errors before making his next stroke:

(a) In match play, he lost the hole for playing from a wrong place - Rule 20-7b.

(b) In stroke play, he incurred a penalty of two strokes. Although the player breached both Rule 20-2a for dropping in an improper manner and Rule 25-1b by taking relief in the wrong place and then making a stroke from that wrong place, the player incurs only the two stroke penalty for playing from a wrong place (see Note 3 under Rule 20-7c). (Revised)
Thank you. But isn't it a legal "unplayable lie" drop?

Only if he declared that he was taking a drop for an unplayable lie. He was seeking relief without penalty from an embedded ball but relief is not allowed from "sandy" areas as per local rules.

Only if he declared that he was taking a drop for an unplayable lie. He was seeking relief without penalty from an embedded ball but relief is not allowed from "sandy" areas as per local rules.

Thank you. Do you have to call your playing partner over to declare it? Or a rules official? In amateur tournament play what makes it an official declaration?

If he really wanted to be like Hogan, he should give back 5 majors and and 10 tour wins. Both the Hague and the Tiger prove the realtive insignificance od driving the golf ball in big time golf.

Dariusz J.

If he really wanted to be like Hogan, he should give back 5 majors and and 10 tour wins. Both the Hague and the Tiger prove the realtive insignificance od driving the golf ball in big time golf.

Yep, but the point is that he wants to own his swing. He wants to have a pretty swing. He wants to be remembered as the master of the game, not just a guy who couldn't master certain procedures. Hagen won more majors than Hogan and he will be remembered just as a fine gambler and not someone special.
I told once that, if our planet survives more 500 years and golf will still be played, there will be discussion about Hogan's secret while Nicklaus, Hagen and Woods will be just "wikipedia names".

Cheers

Yes true. look how the myth has grown in only fifty; by 500 years Hogan will have holed out on every shot. "i remember my great, great, great, great...talking about the day hogan shot 54, would've been lower if he could putt. Hell, he hit it inside 3 feet 18 times". The old man kept talking about a secret or something; of course he was pretty senile by that time" :)

Dariusz J.

Myth ? Holed every shot ? I see you cannot grasp what was Hogan's greatness. As far as I remember, he holed no ace. He always said to play safe.
It is not a myth he played many rounds with 100 FIR/100 GIR in competition. Something Woods can only dream, likely during masturbation.

Cheers

The difference is this: In the Hogan, Nelson Snead era, they had their own swings. Many players today dont have their own swing. In Tiger's case it's an Anselmo, Harmon, Haney, Foley swing. In the case of Fred Couples it's a Paul Marchand, Harmon mix; Nick Faldo, David Leadbetter etc, i need not go on. The point is we live in a completely different era: The Teacher Era. Teaching went over to teachers many years ago, and "digging it out of the dirt" went out with leather knee pads. Better or worse, who knows? Just a statement of the way the game is now. If you look at scores, this era is better, but there are a lot of other factors in that equation too. Personally I feel that Tiger has been hurt by this reliance but that's just an opinion, and God knows there are a boatload of those in the blogosphere :)

History remembers those are written about most. People like to write about things that make a good story. The Holy Grail, the Knights Templar, Area 51, JFK etc etc.

Hogan will be remembered for that classic in all classic stories: THE SECRET. Not for his golfing prowess, which was based on intelligence and diligence. The man was unyielding in his pursuit of answers and this makes him a kind of hero to many, especially in cultures which admire resilience and people who claw their way up from the bottom to the top.

I told once that, if our planet survives more 500 years and golf will still be played, there will be discussion about Hogan's secret while Nicklaus, Hagen and Woods will be just "wikipedia names".

Cheers

Agree!
And golf fundamentalists all over the world will worship at shrines to the enlightened one, Hogan, who achieved pari Nirvana and ascended to a Paradise of eternal long rough and narrow fairways. And we will be grateful to and honor his prophet, St Dariusz, for bringing the truth of his greatness and preeminence to the deluded followers of false gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.