2 issues- pivot nad over-rotated flying wedge

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 issues- pivot and over-rotated flying wedge

Had a quick 30min lesson at lunch with a new pro I had never worked with before. And what I feared I was doing, I was indeed doing causing severe inconsistencies in ball striking. Didn't get any video, real quick session.

Over rotation-
I was good the first few feet back, but then my left arm was turning over as the shoulders turned and my left arm was higher than the right and the club was getting behind me. This causing me to get real handsy on the way down to get the club back to the ball by trying the shut face down. Balance issues, getting out on the toes, flipping at the bottom etc..

I thought I was trying to not do it, but still was. That is why I have been able to do little TGM basic and acquired motion punches and chips with great contact and success because I wasn't going far enough back to get over-rotated. I was doing little "pitches with a pivot"
He had me try to exaggerate and think almost "reverse roll" on the backswing and keep my flat left wrist facing in front of me and not up to the sky and do shorter more controlled swings.

Pivot-
Due to the bad position on the way back I was getting no pivot or out of sequence pivot and just trying to manipulate it with the hands. Eventhough I know what a perfect pivot should look like I am struggling snapping the chain with my pivot. Near the end I was improving just thinking of turning back to the target and dropping the arms downs and "NOT CONSCIOUSLY TRYING TO ROLL THE HANDS INTO THE BALL", let the pivot do it. Kiind of a little hold-off follow-through.
I was able to hit a few 150yds 8irons at the end with what felt like shorter swings and there was no flip at the bottom and decent compression(it was off mats)

Can anyone offer some more advice as to these two areas that may help?
I would love to get the soft draw pattern down, but I fear I may start over rotating the left arm again as the club comes back to the inside.

I have all of Brian's vids fyi.

big thanks!
Joe

Last edited:
When you're taking the club back, you have to try to feel the right arm staying above the left, all the way to the top. It's more difficult to get overrotated when you maintain that feeling.

What works good for me is getting across the line. I was ATL at the end of last year and I was hitting it great. Started this year not really trying to get ATL and I was terribly inconsistent with a weeks worth of shanks thrown in there. Now just last week I've once again been trying to get ATL and the results have been wonderful. I had 6 pars today out of 9 holes and I feel my swing coming back.

thanks guys,,i was perfect as I said the first few feet back,,then I just went crazy with rotating the left arm,then throw in some tumble and i was really coming fromthe outside to make up for over rotating. I think this attributed to the pivot stall also. I have to think flat left wrist and not rolled and then think of hips starting the downswing and the club "drops" down to the inside. Also not conciously think about rolling the hands at impact, let the pivot pull them around.

It will take some work to get the soft draw backswing,,coming inside like that when you have been over rotated with the left arm flying wedge.

why

does getting across the line seem to help with getting above plane (if it does)?

What works good for me is getting across the line. I was ATL at the end of last year and I was hitting it great. Started this year not really trying to get ATL and I was terribly inconsistent with a weeks worth of shanks thrown in there. Now just last week I've once again been trying to get ATL and the results have been wonderful. I had 6 pars today out of 9 holes and I feel my swing coming back.

Inside hand path and a steeper clubshaft on the backswing helps shallow the club out in the forward swing. Assuming a decent pivot.

if you get the hands inside you better not over- rotate the LFW, cause then you have to make adjustments from the top with the hands or you will knock lag the sweetspot,,I can attest to that. I think just get the LFW on plane whether it's inside or on a TSP can help. I like in SD, the thought of being able to look into the pit of the elbow on the backswing.

That over rotation, I think can kill your pivot also, cause if you just "turn" back into the ball the clubface is open and you have to "actively" work the hands to have any chance of squaring the face. Once you start trying to work the hands you get out of sequence and the arms start to outrace your pivot and you are dead. It's a vicious cycle, if you have been trying to compensate for a bad position at the top. It will take some conscious effort and work to break it. Just want some more good thoughts and drills and positional things to monitor, I think.

thanks

why

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does getting across the line seem to help with getting above plane (if it does)?

IMO the pressure that is used to create the under rotation (across the line position) is the same pressure that can be used to prevent being too much under coming back down. It is like tumbling the backswing.

Matt

IMO the pressure that is used to create the under rotation (across the line position) is the same pressure that can be used to prevent being too much under coming back down. It is like tumbling the backswing.

Matt

Do you mean the greater pressure you get on the left thumb? That's where I feel it when ATL. It also seems like you're less likely to cup the wrist at the top when across the line, no?

When you're taking the club back, you have to try to feel the right arm staying above the left, all the way to the top. It's more difficult to get overrotated when you maintain that feeling.

At what point then does the right arm(forearm) get under the left and into the impact position? what harm would it be if the right arm didn't get above the left?

footwedge

IMO, again assuming a decent pivot and the OP's issues I think it will work for him.

Then we agree , it might work for him, as in "you think it should or could work for him". There's no gaurantee it will. IMO. Of all people, you should know this. Doesn't mean don't try it, who really knows how certain things affect each individual's swing, because it works for some, doesn't mean it works for all. Thus "The Matrix".

Last edited:
At what point then does the right arm(forearm) get under the left and into the impact position? what harm would it be if the right arm didn't get above the left?

For me, when I drill this, the right arm gets under the left by the time I finish the backswing. But the feeling is that it stays above the left all the way to the top.

To answer your second part, I personally tend to get laid off, which leads to push fades, and for some folks brings the hosel into play (for me, I guess I overcompensate, because I hit it on the toe). The feeling of keeping the right arm above the left helps me get the club more online, keeps the face from opening too much, and helps center my contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.