2006 Tour School

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a new thing, not sure why. Maybe to eliminate some of the real bad players. One guy didn't break 100 in any of the four rounds! Wouldn't want to be paired with someone that bad in the first stage.

Biffer said:
It's a new thing, not sure why. Maybe to eliminate some of the real bad players. One guy didn't break 100 in any of the four rounds! Wouldn't want to be paired with someone that bad in the first stage.

That's horrible! Can you imagine getting threatened with slow play penalties on every tee, ridiculous!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
They basically just added another stage. Don't forget that the PGA Tour Inc. is a money making endeavor and will always be looking at ways to increase revenue.

I saw that they are actually encouraging people to sign up for the Champions Tour Q school. Nobody is trying to do that anymore because getting through Champions Q-school doesn't even get you into many events now. I think it just gives you the right to Monday qualify or something. Anyway, I wouldn't pay my money for that either.

Champions Tour School

Having been through 7 Senior PGA Tour (Champions) Tour Schools, I can attest to the fact that there are players in the 1st Stage that can't break 90.

A condition of entry is that the Tour reserves the right to bar players from entering based upon past performance, but every year you would see many of the same players back again for 1st Stage.

You are correct in that there has been a change this year on what successful Qualifying 'gets you'. Back when I played (92 thru 97), there were 8 fully exempt spots available + another 8 partially exempt spots available - so 16 players 'got their cards'.

Over the last few years, the fully exempts have been cut to 7.

For next year, I believe that the top 24 or top 32 (can't remember the # for sure as it has been awhile that I looked at the entry form) finishers will be eligible to play in a qualifier each week with the top 9 (I believe) getting into the tournamnet proper. They have also added the provision that if a non exempt player finishes in the top 10 in the previous week's event, he would be exempt into the following week (mirrors the PGA Tour), but then that would 'steal' a spot from the 9 above. This qualifier is not the same as the Monday '2 Spotter'.

Hope this helps clarify.

Bruce

This week is pre-qualifying for stage 1 of q-school. If you don't qualify to directly enter stage 1, you have to go to pre-qualifying. Effectively, they've added a 4th stage to q-school. It's $2500 to enter and another $2500 if you get through. These are the rules for who is allowed to skip pre-qualifying and go straight to stage 1.

The following applicants shall be eligible to begin play in the First Qualifying Stage:
1. Members of any of the International Federation of Tours* or Nationwide Tour during 2002-2006.
2. Applicants that have made the cut during 2006 in a tournament awarding official money that was
conducted by a member of the International Federation of Tours* or Nationwide Tour as of the
Qualifying Tournament entry deadline of October 4, 2006.
3. Applicants that finished in the top 60, including ties, in a First Qualifying Stage of the 2004 or 2005 PGA
TOUR Qualifying Tournament.
4. Applicants that played in the Second Qualifying Stage of the 2003, 2004 or 2005 PGA TOUR Qualifying
Tournament.
5. Applicants ranked 101 through 200 on the Official World Golf Rankings as of the Qualifying Tournament
entry deadline of October 4, 2006.
6. Applicants that made the cut at the 2006 PGA Club Professional Championship.
7. Applicants that finished in the top 10, including ties, at the 2005 PGA Assistant Club Professional
Championship.

* Members of the International Federation of Tours are: PGA TOUR, PGA European Tour, Japan Golf Tour,
PGA Tour of Australasia, Southern Africa Tour, Asian Tour and Canadian Tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.