45" driver arbitrary standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do most of you use a 45" driver? Stating the obvious, it seems your driver length should vary with your height. I think my swing vids look a little flat with the driver. When I steepen my plane, I look like I am standing a bit too tall. I am 5'10" with socks on. And I wear a 33" shirt. Would a 43" or 44" be more suitable for me?

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

Do most of you use a 45" driver? Stating the obvious, it seems your driver length should vary with your height. I think my swing vids look a little flat with the driver. When I steepen my plane, I look like I am standing a bit too tall. I am 5'10" with socks on. And I wear a 33" shirt. Would a 43" or 44" be more suitable for me?
I don't think how tall you are is what dictates driver length.Ian Woosnam is 5'4" and I think he uses longer than average shafts.Hogan wa not tall and he used longer shafts.Both these guys however,swung the club around their bodies on the shallow elbow plane.

I suspect that if you swing on the steeper turned shoulder plane,then shorter shafts would be more suitable,especially if you are not that tall.You would need to stand up too erect to accommodate the longer shaft.If you want to use longer shafts you will need to learn the elbow plane downswing.

redan

New
The taller you are, the shorter your clubs need to be. The shorter you are, the longer your clubs need to be. Gary Player figured that out when he came to America in the late fifties early sixties. Length is less important than loft for distance, but it does matter.

There is no set length for a player's stature. You need to go out and actually hit the clubs to find out what is right for you. You also need to experiment to find out other things like shaft flex/kick, static weight and grip size. All of those things can effect your swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.