700 yard par 5 on tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When do you think we will see this barrier broken? I never thought I'd see 240 yard Par 3 and thought 600 yd par 5's were out of the question. They have a 633 yd par 5 at the PGA and it is getting birdied more often than not.

Erik_K

New
Depends on how the hole is set up. If it's down hill a little bit, some of these guys can bomb it 350 and then hit a 3W 250 from the fairway leaving a 100 yd wedge shot!

When do you think we will see this barrier broken? I never thought I'd see 240 yard Par 3 and thought 600 yd par 5's were out of the question. They have a 633 yd par 5 at the PGA and it is getting birdied more often than not.

Depends how much players can increase their distances, which i would imagine depends on balls since club faces can't get hotter. I think with the return to v shaped grooves and an increase in the thickness of rough and narrowing of fairways distance will become slightly de-emphasized.

tfro

New
Depends on how the hole is set up. If it's down hill a little bit, some of these guys can bomb it 350 and then hit a 3W 250 from the fairway leaving a 100 yd wedge shot!

Do tour players only hit 3wds 250? I'd think they could hit them closer to 300. Especially if it's downhill.

Could a tour player reach 700 yds in 2 if it was dead flat, and the typical tour fairways?

Do tour players only hit 3wds 250? I'd think they could hit them closer to 300. Especially if it's downhill.

Downhill true, but off the deck 250ish is big, I would think. Of course some hit 3 wood off the tee 290ish+.

Could a tour player reach 700 yds in 2 if it was dead flat, and the typical tour fairways?

Dead flat? average tour play, NO..........longest hitter out there, not often.
mine in bold

Me personally, I do not like to see "bomber" courses.......I enjoy the 7000 yard course with tight fairways DEEP rough and slick greens. Make the premuim shot makers and shot controllers come to the top. and the "bag full of hybrid" guys fall off the map.
But the rate we are going we will see 7600 yard par 70's in the next 5 years.

I think that they could be possible, but not at a major or anything, and it would probably have to be at a new course.

I think that you could definitely reach it, i mean tour fairways there are guys that could legit hit it 370 off the tee and i have seen tiger and other guys hit a 3 wood 300 off the deck, it would be J.B. one in a hundred kinda thing though.

Not sure about a 700 yard par 5. I hope not anyhow Ray. (Ray right?)

Unless it's savagely downhill not many guys could reach that in 2. To me that takes the risk-reward away from it. I can't see much sense in making a par 5 that forces basically everyone to lay up.

As for long courses, I think it can get dumb for sure. I for sure like to see smart course design come out on top over sheer length.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.