A 3/4 Swing Pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,

Would any instructor like to describe a pattern with a short backswing? Accuracy over distance (a reliable fade, perhaps) is what I am looking for. Please to refer to Brian's teachings and employ his terminology as much as possible. A short video would be nice too.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here's a good one

I'll call it...

Short and Sweet

Slightly Strong Grip

Closed Stance

Slightly forward hands

Slightly forward ball position

Weight Slightly forward

More flex in left knee than the right

Hands High-ish

Takeaway very straight back and Backswing ends with left arm level to the ground

Lower body makes slight slide/shift on backswing (not a turn) toward the right heel.

Upper body just along for the ride.

Shaft near vertical at end of backswing.

Downswing includes pronounced upper and lower body shift as is—very little axis tilt to a VERY flexed left knee.

Right heel should lead right toe into the ball.

Very little axis tilt by impact—feel wise.

Club and arms work through the ball on a very NHA2-ish "yellow brick road," but around a POST LIKE left leg with very little hip turn through.

Both elbows fold to the finish.

Lots of right arm.

Boom.

The "Short and Sweet Pattern"

FREE VIDEO intro soon.

Thanks for your time Brian. A lot of those elements are familiar, either part of my usual swing, or things I've experimented with in the past. Looking forward to the video.

Sounds like a condensed soft draw from your description of components Brian. Might be an interesting little swing, and probably a great way to hit scoring clubs.

I'll call it...

Short and Sweet

Slightly Strong Grip

Closed Stance

Slightly forward hands

Slightly forward ball position

Weight Slightly forward

More flex in left knee than the right

Hands High-ish

Takeaway very straight back and Backswing ends with left arm level to the ground

Lower body makes slight slide/shift on backswing (not a turn) toward the right heel.

Upper body just along for the ride.

Shaft near vertical at end of backswing.

Downswing includes pronounced upper and lower body shift as is—very little axis tilt to a VERY flexed left knee.

Right heel should lead right toe into the ball.

Very little axis tilt by impact—feel wise.

Club and arms work through the ball on a very NHA2-ish "yellow brick road," but around a POST LIKE left leg with very little hip turn through.

Both elbows fold to the finish.

Lots of right arm.

Boom.

The "Short and Sweet Pattern"

FREE VIDEO intro soon.

this is amazing...it works so good. I think i'm gonna be shooting in the low 70's with this :D

Very interesting Brian.

*Gasp?*:

At address...weight on the left leg...left knee more bent than right...?

I thought you weren't so hot on this?? No?

"Takeaway very straight back and Backswing ends with left arm level to the ground"

Brian, with this description of the backswing, is this a pattern that uses popout?

I would like to see this in action and the video as well :D

I have a question regarding the "Downswing includes pronounced upper and lower body shift as is—very little axis tilt to a VERY flexed left knee." For me going into a very flexed left knee makes it hard for "Club and arms work through the ball on a very NHA2-ish "yellow brick road," but around a POST LIKE left leg with very little hip turn through." Anyone else find this true as well?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
"Takeaway very straight back and Backswing ends with left arm level to the ground"

Brian, with this description of the backswing, is this a pattern that uses popout?

no, popout is when the HANDS move futher OUT than they started. You can have a very "down the line" takeaway without it because i do it BUT you just have to make sure you DON'T popout cuz it can lead to it.

hey brian...
just curious, why the closed stance? to restrict hip movement?

Taking a stab at it... I think the closed stance ( A lot of this pattern fits me, mosty because of back issues ) and probably the strong grip are because it is much harder to square the face with the short backswing, and this will help square the face & keep from hitting the ball too much to the right??

But I'm a 19 handicap - so I'm probably way off...

Moe Norman

It's been a while since I started with this, and the pattern is now working great for me with all clubs. I sometimes think of Moe when I'm setting up, and I often hit it dead straight. The pattern feels like my own natural swing (no pun intended), and I get enough power without trying to 'create awesome lag' or stuff like that.

There are a few things I've added to make it work for me (minor points from NHA, for instance), but the Short and Sweet pattern has me hitting some super shots. I'd still like to see the video though...

no, popout is when the HANDS move futher OUT than they started. You can have a very "down the line" takeaway without it because i do it BUT you just have to make sure you DON'T popout cuz it can lead to it.

How do you take up the wall on NHA without having the hands go out?
If it's the same distance from your belt buckle while you start your inner rotation, the club will not go up the wall, it will go in. I'm still confused how this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.